A cramp in my style…

by mssinglemama on November 5, 2008

Stress or maybe just too much to do – constantly running myself in a million directions – has weakened my immune system. Now I have some kind of nasty, nasty virus.

So here I am, flat on my back, unable to walk across a room without severe pain from this nasty whatever it is. My mother is here, along with her boyfriend, Larry, and Mr. Man. They all came up last night for our big election night out, long planned ahead of time – me knowing it would be the greatest night of our lives, one we would never forget.

We went – I sat – barely moving, watching them all enjoying themselves through a foggy haze and watching our now President-Elect Obama sweep state after state. We came home early and I curled up in bed with Mr. Man to watch his victory speech on my tiny laptop.

Now I’m still here in bed, still barely moving, while all three of them buzz around me. Mom cleaning, Mr. Man fixing my dryer and Larry doing who knows what to my yard. Benjamin is on his way back from his father’s this afternoon. Mr. Man will be gone by then but Mom will stay, she’ll stay she says – until I get back on my feet.

Usually I resist help, refuse it all together or deny that I need it – but today, unable to muster the energy to get out of my bed – I can’t stop them. It’s just so hard to believe my quiet house is filled with voices – adult voices – help.

Mike November 5, 2008 at 10:43 am

Quit bitching.

You’ve got yourself some great people who are looking after you and your home. They want it ready for your son when he comes home. I say congratulations on having that great network of people. Just relax and let them do what they can for you.

Serioulsy, I hope you get better soon.

CME November 5, 2008 at 10:53 am

What an amazing night. My son was gleefully screaming “Barack Obama won mommy” not knowing the magnitude of what just happened. When Barack was giving his speech my boy was laying next to me and saw tears rolling down my face. “What’s that mommy? Why are you crying?” I responded” Tears of joy, buddy, tears of joy.”

I hope you feel better soon. Take the help when you can, some people aren’t lucky enough to even be offered help.

Tricia November 5, 2008 at 10:54 am

Awwww….poor thing. I hope you start feeling better soon.

And be so thankful for the help that you have! I don’t have such options, so I make sure to take my vitamin C everyday.

Here’s a big non-germ-trasmitting hug for you.

Rebs November 5, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I spent yesterday off sick, but dragged myself into work this morning, since the boss is taking in depth notes on my ‘engagement’ as of late.

Despite it being a sick day for both me and kidlet yesterday, I managed to do a load of laundry (we’re toilet training), empty my car trunk of all our camping gear into our storage space, and keep on top of toilet training…which means trips to the potty every 30-45 minutes.

I was asleep before the kidlet last night. After calling my name for an hour I went into her room, where she asked for “a toy”. I don’t normally indulge in sh!t like that, but I gave her some stacking cups. I fell asleep to the sounds of her playing with them.

I’ll echo other posters to remind you to be so very grateful for the help. I can’t even remember a time when I *was* on my feet.

T November 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I know to some it sounds like you’re “bitching” but I do know how you feel. Its weird when you’ve always been the only grown-up in the house. Sure, its good to have help but its still weird.

My oldest daughter wouldn’t relax for bedtime last night. She kept calling me into her room asking, “How many votes does he have now?” It very exciting isn’t it?

Hope you feel better soon. Yes Vitamin C and echinacea are my best friends too. (though heartbreak tends to weaken my immunity too)

pisceshanna November 5, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Aww hun, just pretend you’re 9 years old again, listening to your parent’s voices throughout the house as you fall asleep. That was always the most comforting memory of mine.

I’m still in Obama shock. Its so wonderful.

pisceshanna November 5, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I guess “Barack Shock” would have been more clever.

Cyndi November 5, 2008 at 7:39 pm

N-man calls him Bama-Llama thanks to his current favorite book.

Seriously, nothing sucks more as a single mom than being so sick you have to call someone to come do your job for you. I hate laying in my bed in a delusional fever and hearing my mom having so much fun with N when I can barely move.

I hope you feel better soon.

Laura November 5, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Shame man!! Sorry you not feeling too great!

But your little support team sounds so super cool!!

Leah November 5, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I hope you can let yourself relax and be pampered and cared for. I know it’s hard, but you deserve it! 🙂

Sending feel-better vibes your way, mama!

Treemama November 5, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Rest and relax. Remember that? What’s that?

Thank god fro grownups huh?

Yeah, it’s the shits sometimes being the only big person in the house.

Hope your back up soon.

spatulahandle November 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Hope you feel better.

stepping over the junk November 6, 2008 at 6:57 am

How lovely though, that you have help! I am fighting a cold right now in the midst of an art reception tonight and getting ready for another next week, AND caring for my two girls. I have no help but my guy called last night and said he was coming down early today, TO HELP ME! Just to entertain the kids is help. (now off to drink more vitamins and eat grapefruit and take zinc…hope you feel better.