I just got robbed…

by mssinglemama on October 16, 2008

of my words.

It’s inconsequential. It really doesn’t matter. But, I’m calling foul anyway.

Last summer Real Simple magazine interviewed me on How to Ask a Man Out. Today I picked up the issue I’ve been waiting to read for months only to find my exact words attributed to someone else!

You know them, I’ve said them here before…

What have you got to lose? Ask a guy out and you’ll feel more confident after you do.

I was too pissed off to actually buy the magazine, so those may not be the exact words from the story. But they were mine. And as I stood there in Target reading my little quotes, in that stupid teeny, tiny story given to another single mom – I just dropped it back onto the rack and thought, “Oh well.” I had bigger fish to fry – one with light brown hair and deep brown saucer eyes – who was about to throw a tantrum.

Now he’s tucked in, blissfully dreaming, and I’m sitting here wondering if I’m just going to let it fly. But I’m not. I’m just so disenfranchised with the mainstream media. All of them. Doesn’t matter. TV, radio, newspapers… true journalists with integrity and the ability to tell the truth in a clear and straightforward manner are few and far between.

Did I mention I used to be a reporter? For 8 years… so I am just a tad passionate about this.

Plagarism is an especially sore subject for me but this – I don’t even know what this is called. Real Simply put, I’m never buying or reading that rag ever again. And if I’m never interviewed by a national publication again for saying so – then so be it.

Sorry for venting… if you’re bored by this useless post read up on How to Ask a Man Out.

Asking men out is a bit nerve wracking – quite terrifying actually – but men appreciate confidence in women and we’re single moms, they usually assume we’re taken. So go get ’em… and, as I’ve always said, what have you got to lose? Even if he says “no” at least you know.

UPDATE: I contact Real Simple and they apologize for paraphrasing my quote. I corrected them and said – no you didn’t paraphrase you misquoted me entirely. They didn’t write back. Thanks for inspiring me to write to them. And hopefully this blog post will soon rank #2 for Real Simple magazine. Don’t mess with bloggers people!

[Photo Credit: MagazineAgent.com, last November’s Real Simple]

Laura October 16, 2008 at 9:32 pm

WTF? That is hectic!!! Sorry man

That really does totally suck!

SingleParentDad October 17, 2008 at 1:12 am

It’s incosequential in a sense, but it really is out of order, and it seems, endemic within the written media world.

I’m a newbie, but have seen, on a small scale, how quotes and off-the-cuff remarks can be turned into stories, or page fillers.

Incidentally thanks for the tips on asking men out, I shall keep them in mind.

Leah October 17, 2008 at 9:54 am

I am so sorry to hear that! That is so lame. I’m not buying that magazine anymore either. Anyway, who needs a 200 plus page magazine on how to live simply?

Andra February 4, 2015 at 7:46 am

I had been delighted to diseovcr this particular internet-site.I mustso that you can exciting time for this phenomenallearn!! When i definitely using each and every quantity of this specific my partner and i have you ever saved to consider website anyoneweb page submit.

littlemansmom October 17, 2008 at 10:12 am

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The NERVE!!!!! I’d call them on it….there is absolutley no excuse for theft…in ANY form!
Heck…I’ll call them on it if you’d rather not…telling them those comments seem particularly familiar to me….hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

pisceshanna October 17, 2008 at 10:40 am

Booo what a bunch of uncreative saps.

mama llama October 17, 2008 at 11:34 am

I have caught a student and made her lose her scholarships when I found her essay she submitted to me online. There is no excuse for taking someone else’s words and/or ideas and calling them your own–or misacknowledging them.

I am sorry this happened to you. That infuriates me.

Be well.

Mike October 17, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Good for you to take the high road. Plagarism does suck and when an original thought is not acknowledged (use it but make sure you acknowledge it) it is so wrong on many levels.

BTW as a man when I was dating not too many years ago, I loved it when I was asked out. I only wished more women had the guts to do so…

Valerie October 17, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Not buying that magazine either and I am going to make sure my friend’s (fellow single mom) store doesn’t carry it either.

J-Fo October 18, 2008 at 9:51 am

I used to be a reporter, too. As such, I DEFINITELY think this is a big deal, and I would be super pissed. I share your views on mainstream media today. McNews. That’s all we’re offered. Go get ’em!

Kim October 18, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I understand your frustration and anger about the article. And you should definitely call them on it…as soon as you can. Consider it may have been a (stupid and careless) oversight…but do find out either way. If they admit their mistake, they’ll publish an infinitesimal apology/correction in another issue 6 months down the road. It won’t rectify the situation…unfortunately. Speak up for yourself, Ms Single Mama! We’re all behind you.

PT-LawMom October 18, 2008 at 7:00 pm

That is so wrong!!! I’m sorry, what a bummer. 🙁

O Solo Mama October 19, 2008 at 9:19 am

As a writing and editing freelancer, I say bwwwwaaaaaaa. However, why not write to the editors? This could be a great way of getting into Real Simple. What were they thinking– that bloggers’ words are just free for the taking? The mainstream media sometimes don’t get it about the blogosphere, or that the new media are going to eventually sink the old. Let’s put them on warning. I’m behind ya: go after them and get some terrific publicity for Ms. Single Mama! You deserve it.

LTP October 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm

That magazine is so pointless anyway….my ex used to call it “Real Stupid”. But that is totally wrong and you should call them out on it…..just my two cents.

mssinglemama October 19, 2008 at 6:30 pm

I think you’ve all given me the courage to just e-mail this post to the reporter and the editor…

It is just so wrong. But, they’re a magazine, not a news publication so I doubt they would apologize or post any kind of correction. We shall see…

Beitna February 4, 2015 at 9:48 am

This is extremely exitncig, You are an excessively professional writer. I’ve joined up with your rss feed and stay up for on the lookout for more of your great post. Also, I’ve got shared your web site inside my social networks!

mommypie October 20, 2008 at 12:31 pm

That totally SUCKS. I’m with everyone else — you SHOULD email the post and you SHOULD call them out. It may not get you anywhere, but at least you’ll feel a whole lot better.