Cabin Fever, Part 2

by mssinglemama on September 19, 2008

An adventure is brewing.

I’ve decided to visit the man I met only briefly last weekend. If you missed it, catch up here. My best friend, Mia, has offered – no – has insisted upon watching Benjamin and she’s practically kicking me out the door to go meet him.

“Why wouldn’t you?” she asks.

“I don’t know, what if…” and then I list all of my annoying what ifs. None of which include being killed by this mysterious man or spending a night in a half-finished cabin without a bathroom. No, my fears are all irrational emotional nuisances – courtesy of my overly analytical brain. Here are a few: “What if he likes me too much and I hurt him?”, “What if it’s a big waste of time?”, “What if I like him?”, “What if I feel guilty for leaving Benjamin?” and the worst one of all, “I’m taking time away from my son to spend it with a man I barely know.”

“Stop,” says Mia, “You’re doing it again, you’re talking yourself out of it. You do that all of the time. You talk yourself in and out of everything and it’s crazy. You’re torturing yourself. Just relax and stop thinking about everything so much.”

Yes. Brain. Shut – the – hell – up.

Just one night would be nice. One night of a calm mental still. One guiltless romantic adventure featuring, to name a few, a bottle of wine, a camp fire, the trees and a sexy single dad whose e-mails have been making me smile all week. The man has a fascinating mind. Simple, funny and eloquent all at once. Very intriguing.

“Keep out of trouble and watch out for the robots,” he says in one… the robots being all of the people in the city. He escaped the city and his traveling job three months ago to move back home – to be near his kids.

“And now here I am,” he says on the phone, “standing under the stars. I think a car came down the road 30 minutes ago but that’s all I’ve heard in hours.”

His voice is steady and sure. He has a confidence that’s rare in most of the single men I meet. He’s out in the middle of no where… living on next to nothing – and he’s doing it all for his kids. But on that journey he’s discovering, as I did, that escaping it all transforms you, liberates you, moves you.

I’ll be the first visitor to his cabin.

When this dawns on him over the phone, I can nearly feel his breath rush out of his body. Me, a woman who he calls a “refreshing beauty”, will soon be standing in his rough and tumble bachelor world. He ran down a list of things he’ll be fixing before I get there. The electricity for example. Yes, this is a half-finished cabin. I’m not even sure if there are walls.

But I don’t care. I’m going to be still. I’m letting this one ride…

Maybe Ian (Single Parent Dad) can clue me in on what to expect, he built his own house too… gotta love those men who can build their own houses. Seriously. House building = hot.

1. Cabin Fever…

jonb September 19, 2008 at 6:03 pm

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/merlin81/alainagone.jpg[/IMG]

jonb September 19, 2008 at 6:07 pm

nevermind. that did not work. my stroke of genius failed. i don’t suppose someone will enlighten me as to how to, if it is possible to, post a funny picture within the blog comment. :( I hate it when an attempt at being witty blows up in my face.

alaina, good luck. have fun. one thing. you must absolutely demand he make you breakfast in a cast iron skillet. preferably an omelette, western to be exact.

mssinglemama September 19, 2008 at 6:12 pm

OMG!!! YOU ARE HORRIBLE.

Here’s the picture everyone.

If I’m not back by Sunday call the authorities. Seriously, as for my safety. I’m not scared. But today when I took a wrong turn and ended up in a very, very unsafe part of the city – I was scared. For some reason, solo guys out in the woods do not scare me in the slightest. Remember the biker?

jonb September 19, 2008 at 7:00 pm

you know i heart you, lol. i couldn’t resist. you know what’s funny, having grown up in the city i was a little uncomfortable at times in the boonies when i went to the exes. of course that may involve me being mixed and being in rooms adorned with confederate flags and shotguns. lol.

Valerie September 19, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Go for it girl!! This sounds like something you have to check out or you will regret it.

Laura September 19, 2008 at 8:33 pm

LOL that pic is funny man!!

ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April September 19, 2008 at 11:40 pm

My best wishes that it goes really well!

mama llama September 20, 2008 at 12:59 am

I am staying tuned…we all LOVE the juicy details!

Thank you for your words today–no, wait, yesterday. I really have learned a lot reading so many different points of view from Those Who Know.

Be well, Mama!

Moon Beam September 20, 2008 at 5:36 am

Good luck! I hope he ends up being as amazing as he sounds. Be careful, does someone have the location of where you’re going? I hope you have an unbelievable time!

Ms. Single Mama September 20, 2008 at 6:22 am

Moon Beam:

You’re the second person to ask me that! I’ll get his address before I leave and give it to Mia. And he lives right up the road from his parents’ house – I met both of them last weekend as well.

Seriously – no worries everyone, okay?

Ms. Single Mama September 20, 2008 at 6:24 am

Oh, and as for the urgency of the trip. This is his first weekend without the kids in 3 months! And probably the last for a while – it’s his ex-wife’s birthday.

T September 20, 2008 at 7:16 am

Um…. WOW?!!

I’m excited for you. There’s nothing more romantic than an evening under the stars with a man with a fascinating mind…

I can’t wait to hear all about this one!

Lauren September 20, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I’m so excited! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

KT September 21, 2008 at 6:31 pm

I hope you have fun. I meant to comment earlier and tell you to go. I’ll be eagerly waiting for details of the night. Enjoy!!! You deserve it.

SingleParentDad September 22, 2008 at 7:56 am

Did you take your paint brush? You’d need it if you came here!!!

We are great us single parent house builders, but if he’s anything like me their will probably be stuff to finish for ever.

Kitkat4real (SOLO dot MOM) September 22, 2008 at 7:57 am

So excited for you… hope this went well. Can’t wait to hear more. Soon… yes?

tami September 22, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Your adventure brings to mind a great book I just read.
It is called She, Myself and I by Whitney Gaskell. It is a wonderful read. You should check it out.
I hope you have a fantastic time!!!!

LTP September 22, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Do as Oprah says….trust your instincts!!! If you feel good, then it’s likely okay…but to be safe (and for the sake of your son and your friend), make sure they have addresses, phone numbers, etc. Does he get good cell reception out there in the middle of nowhere? I’ll wait until you are back to share a story with you…about a British pilot with lots of build-up, LOL.

Hope it works out for you!

Single Dad May 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This is nice! I like it a lot! Good luck to your blog!