The muddy single mom, a fairy tale.

by mssinglemama on September 8, 2008

Benjamin’s best friend, Sydney, came over to play last night. Her mother Mia and I have been best friends since kindergarten. And now we live 100 feet away from each other. Call it fate, call it destiny – whatever it is – but seeing our children play together like we did, not so long ago… is soul moving, to say the least.

Sydney, a 4-year-old who is obsessed with fairytales and princesses, decided to make mud soup in the back yard. Benjamin was her assistant. “Stir Benjamin, stir it up,” she said in the voice of a wicked witch, “We are going to make poison soup to poison your mommy and she will never wake up… never, ever.”

Benjamin complied. He’s in love.

When the soup was finally finished Sydney gave me a drink off the tip of her stick. I played dead.

“And now,” she said, “We will cover you in the soup and you’ll be asleep forever, you’ll never live happily ever after and you’ll never find your prince.” She started painting my feet with mud.

“Why won’t I find a prince?” She was freaking me out but I was listening.

“Because all of the princes are mushed together in a big onion ball!”

“Oh.”

But then she kept repeating my horrible fate, minus the onion ball, over and over again. With each stroke of the mud. “And you will never, ever live happily ever after. Your prince will never find you. You will be alone forever and ever, ever after.”

When Mia came over I told her about her daughter’s creepy curse.

“Well, she’s not a prophet,” Mia laughed.

“How do you know?” I asked.

Then she looked at me – I’m still sitting there and Sydney is still painting me – the mud is now all over my arm and some is even on my face.

“Yeah… well, maybe she is! Who knows,” she conceded. Mia and I believe in ghosts, tarot cards and all things mystical – we always have.

Later that night, long after little Benjamin had been tucked away, Kris called. I hadn’t seen him in a week and invited him over. I ran around the house, cleaning up the toys and then jumped into the shower. And there they were – my muddy feet. I’d forgotten about them.

I started scrubbing but the mud, all dry and crusty, it was still there. I grabbed a loofah. But in that moment, when my crazy single mom mind actually believed the mud would never wash off, I realized that Sydney was right.

I’ll never find my real prince if I can’t wash away the old mud. I have to quit himimmediately (besides, I have a date tomorrow night).

To be continued…

P.S. I hate to leave you hanging, but I’m utterly exhausted. You understand I’m sure…

1. Being a Single Mom With a Glass Half Full
  2. How to Date a Single Mom, Part 4
  3. Single Mom Night Out
  4. When Do You Tell Him You’re a Single Mom?
  5. Single mom for sale!

{ 5 trackbacks }

A fairy tale ending?
September 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm
Speed Racer.
October 9, 2008 at 8:01 pm
Joining the club.
December 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm
When is daddy going to bail?
January 8, 2009 at 7:17 pm
The Best of Ms. Single Mama
April 11, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Kim September 8, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Yeah, sure, we understand…but you’d better give us “the rest of the story” as soon as you’ve recovered! :o )

T September 8, 2008 at 8:34 pm

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

I love this post. This is, quite possibly, my favorite post you’ve ever written! You are learning more about yourself and that, MSM, is a beautiful thing.

And how stinkin’ cute is it that your best friend from childhood lives that close and your kids love each other. Dang, that’s just way special. So totally unscripted life. Isn’t it awesome?!

April September 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm

*sigh* well, you leave me no choice but to wait!

Tara September 9, 2008 at 2:04 am

Beautifully written post. It’s funny how you can totally believe what a child will tell you. You know it’s unreasonable and yet . . .
Here from Remarkablogger by the way.

littlemansmom September 9, 2008 at 8:42 am

I loved her story….kids have the best imaginations…and honey, I refuse to believe that fairytales never come true….they just have to….because I said so! LOL

Single Mom in New England September 9, 2008 at 10:12 am

That is so funny. How I hope it is not true. I’d ask her how the princesses rescue the princes out of the big onion ball. So that she CAN live happily ever after!

On your note to yourself: If you’re telling yourself to quit him, it sounds like it’s time.

Plus, it also sounds like you have a new hottie to look forward to!!!

Katie September 9, 2008 at 11:28 am

Ack, so what is the rest of the story, girly? Way to leave us hanging. But yeah, I get that totally. Unfortunately.

Kitkat4real (SOLO dot MOM) September 9, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Well if it was that difficult getting the mud off (and yes I totally understand) no wonder you couldn’t finish the blog… and typing the in the shower, no doubt. :)

Can’t wait to hear about the date… I have my own date Wednesday night… although I have been told we cannot count this as our first date… so not sure what to call mine…. :)

Don’t keep us hanging too long!

pisceshanna September 9, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Sushi Boy hasn’t called, I may schlep myself to singles night tomorrow to make myself feel better…or worse. Did I get painted with unhappily ever after too?

mssinglemama September 9, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Okay.

Preparing for date now. I have exactly 45 minutes. NO time to write a post… maybe later tonight? But, if that happens, it means I’m painfully sober – so small chance.

I am SO nervous because the thought of an actual date has my head spinning. No major chemistry with him when we met … but he’s a single dad and there’s a chance because there is definitely intellectual and emotional chemistry (I think). We shall see… at least I’m trying, right? You are all going to DIE when you find out how we met though – so cool.

More to come. And Hanna – THAT SUCKs. Yes, go drink yourself better with some girls.

KitKat .. can’t wait to hear about yours.

melcol September 9, 2008 at 8:11 pm

YAY for the date!

I hope it goes well for you. I might have date potential for friday…he’s a musician and he looks nice in jeans.

We’ll see…

can’t wait to hear how yours went :)

Watrol Guy September 9, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Your post was more heartwarming than a soap opera. Talk about the ultimate way to keep people hanging:-)

David Paye September 10, 2008 at 12:20 am

Looking for family members I stumbled upon your site,it made me remember when I was a single poppa, and did the dating game, it was hard as ones mind is fretting about the child in the minders care, I had great success by placing a personal ad in the local paper, so did not have to trawl bars and clubs . I have a 34yo son who is looking to meet someone we are based in the UK

Laura September 10, 2008 at 10:58 am

Kids are smart that way – they know stuff!!!

Mine asked me why big people keep getting dumped? I couldnt answer him!

Katie September 10, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I hope the date went well. Don’t worry if the chemistry isn’t quite there the first time, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Samantha October 2, 2012 at 12:30 am

I Love this fairytale i am writeing a paper on it for my creative english class. It is a large fear among single Mothers that they will always be alone and We forget we have time an trying to find a specific person vs a perfect partner is what matters most. In the mean time I lvoe being single with my two beautiful boys 2 and 6 and i love school and will wait for my prince. I cant wait to write this paper Thank you for this awesome story well said for a country girl like me :)