Single Mamas for Obama

by mssinglemama on September 3, 2008

I couldn’t help it.  I had to make this t-shirt.

Buy yours here. Mine is on the way.

UPDATE - My shirt just arrived. And like it says on the order form they run SUPER SMALL. So order two sizes up. I got a Medium and it just barely fits. Still LOVE it though.

I found the t-shirts they’re printed on in the clearance bin so they’re only $11.90 + $4.99 shipping & handling. It’s available in pink, black and white but because they’re on clearance I’m not sure how long they’ll last. This one will just be an addition to my growing collection of single parent t-shirts (thanks to Morgan and Clare at iHeartSingleParents.com).

I wore mine to the Barack Obama rally on Saturday.

Benjamin woke up as soon as the line started moving.

Six hours, one long line, an ice cream cone and three hot secret service men later we found ourselves just 20 or 30 feet away from Obama…

But Benjamin didn’t seem to care. So he found a place to hide and another form of entertainment…

A sweet man next to us gave Benjamin his first Obama pin.

It was hard to take pictures. We only had about one square foot of space to move… but we made it.

Three people in the crowd fainted from the heat. Obama saw one of them drop, stopped his speech and threw him his own water bottle.

And after it was over the father in front of us, there with his three children and wife, looked at us and said, “I was a single father once too, for years. I know what it’s like. Keep it up. Your children (Benjamin and his friend Sydney) are great kids.” He had tears in his eyes, from watching this speech with his own children and from seeing ours – so young and there to witness this shift in our history.

It really was beyond words.

Obama may just be an eloquent speaker but the spirit in that crowd – that’s exactly what this country needs right now. Hope for something greater. That we can leave this country better than we found it… for the next generation.

1. Single Mamas for Obama!
  2. Obama Calls Out Dead Beat Dads
  3. Dear Senator Obama: Please stop spamming me.
  4. Obama’s Single Mama
  5. Go get you one of these!

TentCamper September 3, 2008 at 7:21 pm

That must have been very exciting!!! I don’t know if I would have survived 6 hours in a line though.

I love Obama and am happy that you got to see him…and SOOOOO close.

insane mama September 3, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Wow, that must have been cool! I’m with tenter (in real life) and also in thoughts… 6 hours in line is TOO much for me!

mssinglemama September 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm

It was 6 hours from the moment I started waiting in the line… to when Obama actually spoke. So we found our spots (I think) after just 2 hours in line. The next 4 were waiting in front of the stage. But there was room to run around (thankfully). When the speaking started the crowd squeeze in and that was tough.

Kitkat4real (SOLO dot MOM) September 4, 2008 at 8:44 am

SIX hours? wow. I know it was exciting though. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Amber September 4, 2008 at 9:49 am

Obama was just in my town as well for the DNC! They were selling shirts that said “Hot Mama For Obama” I thought they were adorable and I like your’s as well! Glad you got to see him. The energy of people in Denver when he was here was amazing!!! I have two biracial children and when we were watching his acceptance speech I kept telling the kids “YOU ARE WATCHING HISTORY RIGHT HERE” I too had tears in my eyes!!!

jonb September 4, 2008 at 10:13 am

A, I te amo for making that t-shirt. :) It is awesome. I saw Joe Biden this morning and got to meet him and shake his hand. I almost fainted. OK not exactly, but it was a real pleasure to meet and greet a US Senator. I don;t htink I have had more pride in my country in a while. Biden spoke so highly of Obama and gave him high marks for being on the forefront on issues relating to Iran, Aphganistan, and Iraq. I am going to volunteer for the campaign here in VA.

Obama and Biden have a way of bringing out the best in the people around them. They fill people with positive energy and that is indeed the power to affect change and make a difference.

Stephanie September 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Thought I would share this post on dooce.com

pisceshanna September 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I was just wondering where I could get a T-Shirt that said that. YOU GO GIRL! I get all teary every time I hear him speak. I wish I could have made it to Denver to feel that spirit in a crowd of tens of thousands of people.

Cath Lawson September 4, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Hi there, I found you through Remarkablogger. Your t-shirt design is brilliant. And Benjamin is so cute.

April September 6, 2008 at 8:48 am

I’m so jealous you got to see him in person!