Mommy’s Maintenance Man

by mssinglemama on August 27, 2008

Pronunciation: mommy’s \ˈmānt-nən(t)s man

Function: noun

1. A man a single mother calls for any repairs around the house or in the bedroom.

2. Crucial for single mom survival.

3. Can be boyfriend, lover, ex-boyfriend, neighbor or friend with benefits.

4. Term is only used as a joke between adults (usually the maintenance man and mommy) not with children.

I know you were expecting more on Denmark but because of jet lag I passed out early last night and can’t write much. All in good time, but first – what do you think about this Single Mom Survival Tool? A Mommy Maintenance Man? Do you have one? Do you need one?

No related posts.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Mommy’s Maintenance Man « Little Country Girl
August 31, 2008 at 5:24 am
Saved by the men.
March 7, 2009 at 8:13 pm

T August 27, 2008 at 6:35 am

Yep, I wrote about mine a few weeks ago.

The option is there if I choose to use him in the bedroom. He has actually been hinting that he’d like to even more recently. I just don’t know. I really hate to go there. Again.

Great idea though!

QTMama August 27, 2008 at 7:39 am

I do! He’s called DAD and I certainly NEVER take him to the bedroom. ;)

Depot Dad August 27, 2008 at 8:34 am

am now shopping for a tool-belt.

jenn August 27, 2008 at 9:40 am

Don’t have one, but could certainly use one. I try to get my brother to do stuff for me, but that’s almost impossible. I usually take care of stuff on my own eventually.

jenn August 27, 2008 at 9:42 am

Oh, and just to clarify (since that last comment sounded kind of bad), #3 isn’t on that list. I just ask my brother to fix stuff around the house. Haha. I’m laughing at myself now.

Shannon August 27, 2008 at 11:49 am

I used to always date guys who were handy-so that was their role when I was a single mama. Now, I have a husband and he’s gotten better with time. But I actually honed my skills during that single period, so now I’m pretty good at the maintenance stuff too!

pisceshanna August 27, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I currently guilt-trip the deadbeat’s dad to come over and fix stuff, or my car….anything I can swindle since the man loves me more than his own son (yeah, cause I actually bring his granddaughter over to see him).

mssinglemama August 27, 2008 at 6:58 pm

You guys are funny… I expected the comments to be all about Mommy Maintenance work (IN THE BEDROOM – hint, hint). But I’m glad everyone has a man to help around the actual house…

Queen Pam August 27, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I know right!
I have been too stressed at work which has caused me to be blocked writing/creative wise. I know I need to update, I’m working on it. Thank You Alaina for asking!!! It means alot to me.
Oh and just because Im not writing doesnt mean Im not reading!!!!!

savoredlife August 27, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Haha. I did, but I “fired” him.

Kitkat4real (SOLO dot MOM) August 27, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I do have one! Brooks, but he’s not a friend ‘with benefits’ and doesn’t help around the bedroom… quite like that…

Yeah, not like that… nope, not an option ;)

Karen August 27, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I have one, should I ever need him. He has always made it clear that he is there if I need him. We flirt, have fun, make my ex jealous but haven’t sealed the deal. Somehow that makes it all the more fun.

I blogged about him awhile ago – insert shameless self promotion here….

cisforcow August 28, 2008 at 12:46 pm

LMAO! Yes i actually got one of those for the first time over the 4th of July – but ironically, once i had decided he could be my maintenance man, he got cold feet and took his tool and went home.. boo hiss! But a few screws were tightened in the bedroom before he left :)

J-MA October 4, 2008 at 8:08 pm

they’re good……….. but could get a little messy if either party gets emotionally attached, and the other isn’t.

then things could get ‘needy’.. been there.. and was so ashamed of myself, honestly! Who does that? I looked back and thought ‘What was i thinking?’!! And for the record, that was BEFORE i had Maddie.

I have pondered close to the line before, and i know it sounds weird, but it’s true, but i didn’t want him to have that power over me. So that one ended..

It’s hard i guess.. if sometime in the future (ie. before xmas he he he.. kidding!) someone of ‘maintenance’ material pops up, i definetly wouldn’t rule it out.. Just because i’ve had a bad experience before, doesn’t mean this one has to.. right?

He’s ‘Maintaing Mommy’ of course lol!