Denmark, Part 2

by mssinglemama on August 27, 2008

I wasn’t expecting an extremely romantic vacation that would rock my world.

I was expecting a vacation filled with many long days of shopping and sight seeing followed by long nights of dancing, drinking and sorted drunken debauchery.

If romance happened, it would happen…

We saw castles. We saw canons. We took a ferry into Sweden. And we even sipped on beers at the edge of a beautiful canal in the middle of Copenhagen but in the end the sparks did not fly. The chemistry (without Benjamin in the mix perhaps?) was gone.

It was a bit awkward – but what could we do? Force an issue? Try to create something that wasn’t there? Instead we both spent Sunday apart. Me at the spa and him at the golf course.

I have amazing photos to share but WordPress is being mean…

And don’t worry your pretty little heads about me – I’m quite peachy. Just trying to figure out how exactly to confess something to you all…

1. Denmark, Part 1
  2. Beam me up, Scottie: To Denmark Please!

{ 1 trackback }

Single Mom Relaxation 101
September 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm

jonb August 27, 2008 at 8:30 pm

glad you made it back safe and sound. how were the castles? for some reason i have always wanted to see real ones. sorry the sparks didn’t fly, but it sounds like you had a wonderful trip regardless…?

Laura August 27, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I hope you had a terrific time despite the non romance. I’m sure it was disappointing on some level but be proud of yourself for having the guts to give it a try,

And please don’t be worried about how to confess anything, I don’t think anyone on here would judge you because we don’t want to be judged either. hugs to you : )

stepping over the junk August 27, 2008 at 8:58 pm

a spa is romantic, even if alone!

Alexis August 28, 2008 at 6:01 am

Hey lady!!! GIve yourself all the credit in the world for your bravery in going!!! To leave Benjamin and to go on an adventure solo! We never know what will happen on the journey- but we should always have fun along the way and enjoy it for everything it’s worth. And btw…confessions always make us feel better when they get off our chests. Your readers are (well most of them) are not judgers…I feel like we are all in this together somehow.

Ms. Single Mama August 28, 2008 at 6:11 am

You are all so sweet.

It’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you about for a while, something that may explain a lot. We are all in this together and I don’t fear judgment – it’s just so utterly personal. That’s why it’s hard. But as with anything I decide to write about – I think you all can learn from my experience.

Also something I need to confess to myself. Maybe that’s what’s been stopping me.

And yes, the spa was an out of this world experience. Still there in a way. Must find a spa near me.

Jon, the castles were cool. Definitely. Eerie though, especially the dungeons.

Najia August 28, 2008 at 6:27 am

Sounds like a lovely trip and love your happy “move on” attitude with everything.

How many times on the trip did you wish Benjamin was there? I haven’t yet plucked up the courage to go on a trip without my son. God – I hope I don’t turn him into a momma’s boy…. Eeesh!

Beth August 28, 2008 at 7:03 am

come on! spill already!

T August 28, 2008 at 7:03 am

I think its awesome that you went to visit the Dane. He is your friend and it sounds like you both thought something could happen.

He’s probably disappointed too but at least you still both have your friendship. You just never know, MSM. Never know what is in store for any of us.

Confessions are healthy! Once you are aware of something about yourself, you’re able to grow from it. Even if you don’t confess it here, you are still learning more about who you are.

Keep smiling!

Jonathan August 28, 2008 at 7:53 am

I’ve checked in a few times over the last weeks, kind of rooting for something cool (read: romantic) to happen for you on your trip. My shoulders definitely drooped a little when I saw the results, though not about the soccer game. =)

Your experience reminds me of a couple of people I dated who “on paper” could not be better. Attractive, head-on-straight, going somewhere, fun, and so important as a single dad: totally cool with the fact that I have kids.

So there’s the first date. And the second date. And then the realization we have about as much sizzle as a glass of water.

To make things even better, I of course will often have chemistry with the totally wrong people (meaning, people I should not date).

Life is grand that way, but I suppose if we (single parent community) have the right hearts about it, all these stops and starts will make us value and appreciate our real partner when we find them.

Well, this has been kind of a dry/boring post by me, but it was on my mind and I haven’t been to Starbucks yet. =)

liz August 28, 2008 at 11:42 am

You know we’re all dying to hear the confession — but do it in your own time.

Even if the sparks didn’t fly, I’m glad you had a good time. Every single mama deserves a little R&R!

We’ll be waiting, whenever you’re ready!

pisceshanna August 28, 2008 at 12:31 pm

*waits on the other side of the confessional*

You know we love you, right?

cisforcow August 28, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Jonathan,
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! LOL – that has been my dating scene for the last year…

We are here for ya honey – my shoulder is yours if you need it.

mssinglemama August 28, 2008 at 1:12 pm

XOXO

Jonathan is psychic.

mssinglemama August 28, 2008 at 1:13 pm

The XOXO was to all of you! Have I told you all how much I love you lately?

Katie August 28, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Hmmmm. I wonder what it could be……

Girl, I am glad you had such an awesome trip, sounds like you had plenty of time to destress and recharge even while missing the munchkin. And it sounds like he had fun with grandma, but knew that he was missing you too.

single mommy August 28, 2008 at 5:56 pm

You can’t force it your right, but you did make the best of it. I hope you still feel like you had a relaxing vacation.

littlemansmom August 29, 2008 at 11:58 am

Angelbaby…we adore you unconditionally….no matter what the confession, it’s a part of who you are. No matter if it’s a good thing or not so good thing, it gets chalked up to personal growth…and personal growth is ALWAYS a good thing. So, when you are ready, we’ll be here….patiently waiting for the whole story.. ;)