I went shopping today…

by mssinglemama on August 11, 2008

But I’m not done.

New clothes = wonderful. Shopping and switching websites in one day = hard.

So, this is my new website. You won’t notice many changes (a ton behind the scenes). There are still a few teeny tiny kinks to work out. The Link page and Comment pictures will be up soon… the other missing pieces will follow too.

I’m not going to freak out about it. So let’s get back at it, shall we?

Shopping.

I bought:

• 1 pair of skinny jeans
  • 2 superfluous blouses
  • 2 that I absolutely can’t live without

I didn’t not buy a rain jacket, a pair of rain boots or an umbrella.

BUT. I had fun and decided to tailor my trench coat that’s too big instead of buying a new one… and I’ll just wear my cowboy boots (the waterproof pair). Copenhagen rain solved. Small trade for super cute jeans, some cute tops and the cute pink shoes (still a maybe on the shoes).

I’m trying really hard not to feel guilty.

During my first year as a single mom I was broke. Totally broke. I learned how to live off of next to nothing but now that I have money again… I feel horrible spending it. To curb my guilt I’m going to pat myself for saving so much lately. Some tips of mine – and then share yours.

How I save money as a single mom.

1. No T.V. (Cable)

Sounds crazy but everything I watch is online now. LOST (Abc.com), The Office (NBC.com) and the Daily Show (Hulu.com + tons of free movies like Secret of Nimh for the wee ones). No cable bill saves me $60-80 a month and a LOT of time. I also share my wireless internet with my neighbors (they know about it). Benjamin has a DVD TV in his room for movies and he watches Handy Manny, Thomas & Elmo on iTunes.

2. No eating out for lunch.

Been slipping up on this big time in the past few months. But this will save you hundreds a month. Pack a lunch.

3. Less energy.

It’s been a hot summer. I use the AC sparingly. All year round I turn off the lights, take shorter showers. It all adds up.

4. I traded my SUV for a Ford Focus.

So hard yet so damn easy. Ditch the gas guzzlers. I traded my SUV in for a new Ford Focus, didn’t lose anything on the trade. Same car payment but $150 (and counting) less a month in gas.

5. NO SHOPPING. By myself. Ever.

(When you’re leaving for Denmark in 7 days) Oops! Guilty mama going to pass out.

How do you save money as a single mom? And what do you think about those shoes?

1. The birthday scramble and single mama shopping.
  2. Online shopping – my only option.
  3. Men. Shopping. And FREE stuff (from under my couch).
  4. Chaos and calm.

Deb on the Rocks August 12, 2008 at 8:19 am

As a frugal single mother myself, I say you have to splurge now and then. But I think I would wait on the shoes. No new shoes before a trip! And you might see something you’d rather have there.

I saved money by banning myself from Target.

Random Esquire August 12, 2008 at 8:32 am

Eating out is the biggest expense I have. I probably eat out 10 times a week. Booo!

Katherine August 12, 2008 at 8:40 am

Great tips! I am seriously going to consider the no cable thing. Right now with my budget I have opted to have the cable and not have the internet at home. We do online activity at my office or at the library…. and so far that has also worked well… but I have the flexibility of going to the office any time of day or night. (Just in case we have those research projects that my children wait till the very last minute to do!)

Thanks for the tips … and if you can swing ‘em (I think you can) I would get the shoes!

………kitkat4real.blogspot.com (SOLO dot MOM)

mssinglemama August 12, 2008 at 9:01 am

Hi Kit!

You were the FIRST to comment on my new blog!

Yeah – consider it. Believe me… there’s everything you need and more online. Plus, the kids get an interactive medium to play with. Consider ditching cable for internet an investment in their education.

But like I said – Benjamin still watches his fair share of mind-numbing cartoons (no my Mac) but at least there aren’t any commercials.

mssinglemama August 12, 2008 at 9:02 am

P.S.

I really, really think I need to buy those shoes. Damn. CAN’T wait for Denmark.

T August 12, 2008 at 9:17 am

Woohoo! Congrats on the new site!

And LOVE the shoes!

I like the how to save money ideas. What I’m doing right now is trying to train my little girls to turn off the lights and water, etc. It also helps that my job and their schools are all within a 4 mile radius of my house. Saves TONS on gas!

mssinglemama August 12, 2008 at 10:36 am

Just went to the store and they didn’t have my size! Darn it.

And … just found all of your comments waiting for approval. A few kinks. Sigh. LOVE you all. Thanks for adding more tips to my list. I have more to add in a follow up post too!

single mommy August 12, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I’ve had to learn ways to save as a single mom and one thing I’m always sharing with others is The Library.

I get my movies from the library as well as my books. No more rental fees and you can just keep re-newing online (unless it’s a new release).

Some libraries also have Passes to Parks and Zoos that you can check out and return a few days later.

mssinglemama August 12, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Oooh… yes, Single Mommy! The library. Great addition to the list. Thank you!

stpaulslim August 12, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I would cut the cable, but then I’d be a single mom if my husband couldn’t watch ESPN. Come to think of it, he spends so much time watching sports, I am a single mom.

mssinglemama August 12, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Oh no St. Paul Slim! SUCKS! It’s funny because my ex kept the TV during the divorce. It was the ONLY thing he wanted – didn’t even fight over Benjamin.

Then I just never bought a new one. My ex-husband scared me away from TVs forever. : )

Ellie August 14, 2008 at 7:06 am

Wait– how do you watch First at 4 without cable? Just teasing you….love the new site!