Life is short, get a divorce.

by mssinglemama on August 2, 2008

I’ve got nothing, so I’m giving you another fantastic link that’s sure to get your brain going or at the very least, entertain you for a second…

The reason for the link? Because I love you – and I want to make you smile. And I don’t have much time to write tonight.

Spent today cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. So sexy. The house is still trashed. I don’t get it. How can such a tiny little human make such a phenomenol mess, over and over and over again? And I think I actually cooked three meals today. Should be sleeping right now… and will be in a second.

But first, I have to pass this on… check out this post from DivorceDrama.net featuring a collection of divorce photos including one with a law firm’s billboard that says, “Life is short, get a divorce” and the one I’ve pictured here.

I’ve never been a vengeful person, but the future ex-wife billboard is pretty cool.

Would you ever do something like that? Did you ever do anything like that?

Photo Credit: DivorceDrama.net

No related posts.

beranibaca August 2, 2008 at 11:50 pm

get a divorce..??? better think twice before get divorce but your idea about that billboard is very cool…

spatulahandle August 2, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I am the type of person who would do that, but haven’t didn’t have the money for it…Instead I wrote him a letter telling him he needed to get himself fixed if he couldn’t take care of the children…it offended him pretty bad…and he doesn’t know it, but I actually wished him dead once, it was a 99.9% wish. I found out shortly after I made the wish he had been put into the hospital for something around the time I made the wish and got a staff infection from his catheter…he almost didn’t make it…so be careful what you wish for…and he almost got fixed. Vengeance isn’t always obvious…to this day he still doesn’t know i wished him dead.

spatulahandle August 2, 2008 at 11:56 pm

P.S. We were already divorced when all that happened.

David August 3, 2008 at 12:06 am

Good way for confrontation, I suppose but to bad that it has to happen in the first place. :(

Sheila Sultani August 3, 2008 at 6:15 am

Thanks for the link love!!

hawkfeather August 3, 2008 at 6:43 am

that is the best bill board EVER.
i about pee’d myself.

hawkfeather August 3, 2008 at 7:08 am

after reading through your blog for a bit- I wanted to share something more.

It took me a long time to leave my ex ( i am 32 now and I was with him almost 11 years).. we had four beautiful children and I was fairly certain I would rather be unhappy than ALONE.

I am not a single momma though- I have been with my partner for years- we have five kids now.
But I guess after reading about your ex I did want to share.
I am not sure *what* exactly.. I suppose- that kids get it.

I remember SO well feeling exactly the same things you write-
and holy flying hell- i was guessing -at best- what steps to take with my ex as a “father” in my children’s lives..
but now I can see- in time they figured it all out.
who is important in their lives- who makes the effort.
My eldest (on her own) changed her last name and stopped seeing her father three years ago.
I suppose I always assumed I would be picking up the pieces – mending their broken hearts from all the things *HE* would do to them.. I am not sure why- but i never gave them the benefit of the doubt- that of course- just like me- they would see him for what he is worth and make the choice to remove that from their lives.

they know they deserve more.
children. like your son- like my kids- they know what love feels like.
And while some may question leaving their “father”.. leaving teaches them that they to can make the choice in life to demand better.

andrealudwig August 3, 2008 at 11:12 am

I can understand the strong temptation to get revenge in some hurtful way and pay for an accusing billboard or something like that. The hurt caused by betrayal of a spouse is horrendous.

But acting mean-spirited shows a lack of trust in God. God hates divorce {Malachi 2:16}, because it harms so many. He hates all sin, and he will deal with it all in his timing and in his holy way.

Hurting each other more is not advised nor productive. Galatians 5:14-16 says,

The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Love and forgiveness is a nobler way to go. No satisfaction or happiness will stem from hurting another because they hurt us first.

Rod J August 3, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Why marry in the first place? Cannot people just do it like the mongrels in the street? :-)

deanjbaker August 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm

interesting to see, thanks

Ms. Single Mama August 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hawk Feather – thank you SO much!!! Incredible advice and so good to know that children can discern the difference. I hope my son changes his last name too when he’s older.

And to all – divorce should be a last resort… this post is meant to make all of us who already have divorces smile – and maybe those married couples who are just having a bad day. Marriage is funny. We should all laugh about it more often.

Andrea – agree with you, don’t know about the scripture stuff – but yes, revenge usually doesn’t help anyone.

Spatula! – wow! SCARY shit woman.

andrealudwig August 3, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Ms. Single Mama, it must not be easy being a single mama!! You should check out “the scripture stuff” as you call it. You’ll never regret it. =) My blog is at http://www.phenomenaltruths.wordpress.com if you want to check out Christianity and true freedom. Thanks for your kind response.

Les August 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I put it on my blog on Tribe which social network for people into Burning Man. It was funny enough that I want to share with my burner friends.

spatulahandle August 3, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I know, it scared me too and I haven’t made anymore wishes of any kind…. Learned my lesson…Be careful what you wish for. I honestly didn’t think anything could or would happen I just said “I wish he were dead”…and a month later I got a call from him telling me he had been really sick and still was at the time, I think it was his way of trying to get me back, which almost worked….didn’t stop him from acting like a total ass though. Now I just leave things to God.

Carpe Diem August 3, 2008 at 8:17 pm

An obvious bias here. It takes two to create a relationship breakdown so please get yourself together and share the blame to start with….and fthen forgive both yourself and he/she whatever you perceive he/she has done. If you don’t forgive the ex then my friend you will remain a “victim” until death. How disgusting to be reading of people who poison the minds (or wish their minds were poisened) of their children to get them on their side. When we divorced one thing we were very clear about and that was the children. They were not furniture they were our flesh and blood that could not have come into existence without the love of both of us. Our children had the freedom to be with both of us notwithstanding the divorce and of course which is natural some are closer to their mother than they are to me. Carpe

Anna August 3, 2008 at 8:55 pm

This is why we simply don’t get married in my family…makes it so much easier to just part ways when it’s over. Sort of depressing, huh?

mama llama August 3, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Your title caught my attention; my BFF has been reciting half that as mantra to me for a few years now–Life is too short…to be unhappy.

It is. I don’t think I could ever have it in me to do something so public. I don’t know if there were children involved in the example above but, as there are two involved in my situation, I strive to maintain respect toward their father for their good.

But the issue just involves the two of them–well….you go, girl!

Be well!

WebkinzFan123 August 3, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Oh suck a di••

Ms. Single Mama August 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Simmer down people, simmer down.

This is a joke. This billboard is funny. C’mon – the guy was cheating on her. OBVIOUSLY a divorce was in order. Was the billboard in order? That is the question here.

Mama Llama – yeah, nice point – I hope they didn’t have kids.

Anna – yeah…that is depressing. I’m right there with you though.

maleesha August 3, 2008 at 11:55 pm

I think it’s an awesome billboard. I’d do it if I had the money in a heartbeat. I would add color to make it more noticeable. It’s easy to tell people “oh that’s wrong” or “there’s better ways” but seriously no one needs a lecture, no post here is telling anyone anything new or what they don’t know. I say, the billboard makes a GREAT story. :)

solo mama August 4, 2008 at 11:05 am

Hilarity! I was in the same situation, but I wasn’t smart enough (or balsy) to take it that far. Maybe I should have…..Thanks for sharing!

Mike August 4, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I love in the billboard that she states “Everything is on tape”. That has got to be the scariest words in the English language. Besides being caught while in the act. Almost did that with my ex. Missed catching them by just minutes.

Your blog reminds me that I need to write about my adventures on dating “single moms”. The good , the bad and the unusual. They are a different breed of woman.

Katherine August 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I am still smiling from this one! Thanks – you are the best… Even when you don’t feel inspired, you are inspiring!

Stay in touch,

kitkat4real.blogspot.com

thenonconformer August 4, 2008 at 4:36 pm

When it comes to your own family you next often have to learn to live in love with what you got .. and the same attitude applies to divorce, you try to make the best of it.

Andrea August 6, 2008 at 9:40 am

The billboard was funny–unless they have kids, especially kids old enough to read. In which case, no no no no no no no no no.

I’d never do it myself, even if we didn’t have kids, because frankly it seems vengeful and petty and doesn’t say much good about Emily IMO.