Top 5 Single Mom Movies

by mssinglemama on August 1, 2008

1. E.T.

How long has it been since you’ve seen E.T.? It had been years for me. I completely forgot that Elliott’s mother is a single mom. Do you remember the scene in the kitchen with Elliott says “Dad would believe me.” Wow.

And Benjamin LOVES this movie. There are flying bikes, the moon, frogs, toys, an alien and candy.

Here’s a clip with the scene about Dad running off to Mexico with another woman. WARNING – Elliott’s brother calls him “penis breath” (which I think is hilarious) but it may offend some of you. They don’t make them like this anymore.

Read more to see the next 4 Top Single Mom Movies…

2. Chocolate

A free-spirited single mother falls for Johnny Depp, but will he stay? In the meantime she brings love back to an entire French village with her magical chocolates. This is one of favorite movies ever.

3. Paris Je Taime

Eighteen, five minute shorts about love with this poignant one about a single mother. WARNING- you might cry if you watch this – save it for your lunch hour. This is just one of the shorts, some are funny some are sad, some will move you – all are about love. A must see.

4. Jerry McGuire

You complete me. Woo hoo. Tom Cruise falls for a single mom. Here’s the famous scene.

5. That up to you!!

[FILL IN THE BLANK]

What is your favorite single mom movie?? Tell me which great single mom or single parent movies you’ve discovered.

Enjoy the weekend. I hope you all have time to relax, grab some popcorn and watch one of these.

P.S. I’m out of my funk!!! If you’re still in yours or having a bad day – watch this – my Top 10 Most Beautiful Men in the World list.

1. Best Single Mama Movies
  2. Weekend Single Mama Movie: Once
  3. Celebrity Single Mom of the Month? Moi?
  4. A car full of single parents.
  5. The Ms. Single Mama Video! (Yeah, I’m a dork.)

{ 2 trackbacks }

Fully Loaded? | Single Mom | Single Mom Blog | Ms. Single Mama
September 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm
PerfectDateNow.info - Fully Loaded?
September 15, 2011 at 3:44 am

Rebs August 1, 2008 at 8:54 am

Oh, this is a tough one. There’s a few I can think of and adore:

Once – what an incredible soundtrack

Erin Brockovich – I can think of no other movie that represents a single mom realistically, but without pity.

Finding Nemo – too bad they represent this single dad fish as so neurotic!

Baby Boom – for that dose of 80s

About a Boy – love the Christmas gathering scene

Evelyn – worth watching for Pierce’s Irish accent alone

Must stop now. Kinda a movie buff, apparently!

Angie August 1, 2008 at 9:25 am

Ditto Erin Brockovich!

Not exactly a single mom movie – but Stepmom. The character Susan Sarandon plays, can you imagine the courage it takes to accept another woman who will need to raise your children? Great, yet tearful, movie….

Jim Everson (Depot Dad) August 1, 2008 at 10:05 am

Well, its a single dad movie, but I would have to put To Kill a Mockingbird on the list.

QTMama August 1, 2008 at 10:08 am

Gotta go with Baby Boom – I just LOVE that movie!! LOVE it. It’s a perfect single mom movie. :)

littlemansmom August 1, 2008 at 10:24 am

You know…ET still freaks Littleman out! He won’t watch it!! LOL

I agree..this is a great list…I also like ‘One Fine Day’ and I’m a sucker for the first ‘Look Who’s Talking’

Liz August 1, 2008 at 10:33 am

Another single dad movie — The Holiday. But wouldn’t a loving, devoted single dad Jude Law be all our dreams come true?!?

I love how he talks about being a package deal…he and his two girls.

One Fine Day is good, too!

syd August 1, 2008 at 11:07 am

I have to put Hope Floats into the ring. Great mushy movie, *and* I myself am head-over-heels in love with Harry Connick, Jr.

cisforcow August 1, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Ditto on all of them….Erin Brockovich is what came to my mind first – but then all the others are great too…
I just watched the Other Boleyn Girl last night- there are parts that could classify as singlemomhood.

spatulahandle August 1, 2008 at 2:25 pm

A Walk To Remember…it has a single dad in it and a single mom…the movie is very sad, but I love it.

I got tagged for a Meme, I don’t know if you like to do them or not but I am tagging you for it…it’s a fun one. http://spatulahandle.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/two-word-and-add-some-meme/

hipchick August 1, 2008 at 2:29 pm

” Where the Heart Lies” my favorite!

jonb August 1, 2008 at 2:40 pm

hope floats cause i heart sandra bullock.

Johnny Peepers August 1, 2008 at 3:20 pm

You left out “Hellbound Hellraiser 2″ and “All That Jazz.”

Matt August 1, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I know my wife would vote for “The Notebook” (even though she’s not single!) And, the single dad character who is Ryan Gosling’s dad in the movie is awesome!

Mr. Anonymous® August 1, 2008 at 4:55 pm

What the hell? – what’s wrong with PENIS BREATH? (DON’T tell me your audience is going to raise children who don’t know what a penis is?!!!)

and besides, we ALL know this post was just an excuse to post ANOTHER reference to your Hottie – CHOCOLATE (read Johnny Depp) NO WONDER you’re outta da funk…

You can’t fool us !

Mike August 1, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Here’s a couple of more “Single Dad” Movies:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Van Dyke)
Kramer vs Kramer (Hoffman) I could relate..
An American President (Douglas)
Houseboat (Cary Grant)
Sleepless in Seattle (Hanks)
Parent Trap (both versions)
The Courtship of Eddie’s Father (movie and tv)

The Queen Chimes In August 1, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I’m so glad y’all said Hope Floats, that is my all time favorite. I do like Grace Of My Heart also. To go along with Mike and the great classic suggestions…Yours Mine and Ours (the original!).

single mommy August 1, 2008 at 9:55 pm

That’s easy my FAVORITE MOVIE…

Bye Bye Love

If you haven’t seen it rent it. I googled the plot for you.

This film about is about three divorced men and their relationships with their ex-wives, their children, and new women in their lives. Donny (Paul Reiser) still carries a torch for his ex, and has trouble relating to his teenage daughter, Emma. Dave (Matthew Modine) can’t make a commitment. Vic (Randy Quaid) carries a lot of anger toward his ex, and winds up with the blind date from hell. Needling all of them is a blathering radio psychologist dispensing his advice on the subject of divorce.

McSwain August 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Men Don’t Leave–Jessica Lange is widowed in this one. Awesome.

mssinglemama August 1, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Did someone say single dad movie with Jude Law – Holiday?? Thanks Liz, I’m there. Cary Grant, another obsession so thanks for the Housboat tip Mike. And yes, as Mr. Anonymous pointed out – I thoroughly enjoy any mention or thought of Johnny Depp.

Loved Hope Floats and Once … here’s a clip of Once btw:

Haven’t seen any of the others – yes, I’m movie-deprived.

And LMM – you made me laugh out loud too… that is funny – can’t get over Benjamin’s obsession with E.T. The other day he took an old coffee pot and attached the plug onto the top of the flat iron, then he started phoning home – pushing the flat iron squares like buttons!

(They were NOT plugged in and I was supervising him btw)

Spatula, thanks for the tag! I’ll check yours out b/c I love reading them but never can actually respond – I need a secretary!)

Jennifer August 1, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Jack the Bear is an interesting single dad movie (widower), and I also like, One Fine Day is cute, Where the Heart Lies, and Kramer vs Kramer. I’m partial to single dad movies since I’m now a single mom who was raised by a single dad.

My 2 yr old son LOVES E.T.! I had to laugh at how Drew Barrymore is like maybe 5 and sitting in the front seat of the car, and her mom leaves her home alone to get drunk Elliot. These days that’s a CPS case waiting to happen, oh how the times have changed. Anyway, my son when he’s getting in trouble sticks out his finger and will say ET PHONE HOME!

mssinglemama August 1, 2008 at 11:50 pm

NO WAY Jennifer!!!! That is hysterical!

E.T. rocks, yes, amazing single mom scenes. And Elliott has to stay home alone sick b/c she has to go to work. That’s how I was raised too – weren’t we all? Yep – totally wouldn’t fly today.

Alecia August 1, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I gonna have to say One Fine Day with Michelle Pfiefer and George Cloony, because I can kinda relate to the characters. Rookie of the year I can’t remember the characters real names but, it’s the one were the little boy broke his arm and it heal ed to well and he was this awesome pitcher, he started playing for the Chicago Cubs( sorry if I didn’t get anything right about the movie, I haven’t seen it since I was a teen, but anyway his mom was a single parent.). Sleepless in Seatle. Pursuit of Happyness, with Will Smith. Most definitely, Hope Floats. Where the Heart is, that just touched my heart, because of everything she had gone through and she made through the storm okay.

clickfornick August 2, 2008 at 12:33 am

I’ve really been enjoying your blog. So much so that I want to syndicate it on BustaBlog, a new blog network. You will earn money from your posts by doing nothing more than you’re are doing now.

For more information: Visit Bustablog.com/Syndication

Gary Moneysmith August 2, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Re: ET. Much different movie from an adult’s viewpoint. Loved when Elliot’s mother says, “…there’s no douchebag talk in this house…”

Single mama or not, we’ve all been to the point where the only pathetic sentiment of zen you can wearily offer is , “…there’s no douchebag talk in this house.” That’s when you shut it down and live to fight another day….

Leslie August 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Love love love “The Holiday” & Where The Heart Is…forgot about Hope Floats being a single mom movie too, that’s a great one!

pisceshanna August 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Erin Brockovich is the mother of all single mom movies, though Chocolat really pulls on my mother/daughter heartstrings. I did a post on this a few weeks before I found all you single mom bloggers. I’m glad we think alike :)

Alot of the single moms on cafemom seemed to like “Enough” too.

meghan August 5, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I love this list! My only addition would be “The Goodbye Girl”…maybe because i’m my daughter’s personality is similar to the daughter in the movie. Or maybe because I end up crying at the end every time :) .

laurakim123 August 6, 2008 at 5:19 am

I loved Jerry Maguire!

Going to have to go with Hope Floats!

And there was one with George Clooney in – think its called One Fine Day?

Jaclyn August 7, 2008 at 10:16 am

Definitely, Maybe (Ryan Reynolds) –he’s going through a divorce but is already living separately and “his days” with his daughter. They never say the daughter’s age (Abigail Breslin, the little girl from The Patriot that doesn’t talk, I think) but they show how’s she hurt and upset by the divorce and wants to know the story of him and her mom. She says one line that rings pretty true for me…

Will: “Why do you say ‘my mom’, as if I’ve never met her before?”
Maya: “Because now that you’re getting a divorce, she’s mine. Not yours.”

Where the Heart Is — part of what I like about single mom movies is that sometimes they’ll show the amazing support system that single mom has, as well as the people who try to drag her down. I love Forney (though what the hell is with that name?!) and Sister. One of the few times when the MOVIE is better than the BOOK.

Leah October 24, 2008 at 7:42 am

Wanted to put in another plug for the single dad movie:

The Pursuit of Happyness.

Whoa this is a powerful film and also a true story!! It had me weeping like a baby.

mj January 2, 2009 at 7:43 am

Winn Dixie… a great movie about a little girl being raised by her father. Great for COMMUNITY building – inspiring for any parent.

mj January 2, 2009 at 7:46 am

OTher really positive role model women…. who have a great job, and are raising their child well…. For the LOVE of the Game (Kevin COstner) – although the romance aspect is a little dramatic
and
Message in a Bottle…

Kelly January 2, 2009 at 8:31 am

Don’t forget 3 Men and Baby. I loved watching the guys figure out what to do with a baby girl.

I also loved the one with Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman- can’t remember the name right now.

Cassandra August 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I LOVE that movie too but I couldn’t remember either or find it anywhere. Finally I looked on IMDB and it’s called “Anywhere but Here”. =]

Samantha January 21, 2009 at 7:52 am

Erin Brochovich has my vote for single mom movies and The Pursuit of Happyness for single dad movies.

Tiffany June 12, 2009 at 8:46 am

How Stella Got Her Groove Back! Who doesn't want to jet off to a tropical island and meet a stud? SIGH! :)

Tiffany June 12, 2009 at 8:50 am

Oh and as for single dad, I'd go with Enchanted. I'm a sucker for fairy tales. :)

Carla December 16, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I am hoping someone remembers this movie… it may have been a MOW; I honestly don’t remember… anyways, the only scene I remember from it was the mom and her two kids, a boy and a girl, were opening presents, they were desparately poor, and the mom had given the kids gifts from around the house, where the children had scraped money and bought her a pair of gloves and something else, and the mom was upset over them spending money. I vaguely recall them having no heat as well. I think the mom gave the girl a broom. I desparately want to see this movie again, and yet no one remembers the title. Can anyone help????

Jacinda April 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Carla, I know that movie too. I think it has Kathy Bates in it as the mum and I think it’s called something like “A Home of Their Own” but I’m not certain. Was a good movie thou.

Really liked reading this list. Watching these movies should help me be strong now that I’ve recently become a first time mum and am unfortunately single, all the inspiration I can get really helps. =)

A few more I can think of um.. “Baby Mama” (a comedy about a woman choosing to be a single mum using surrogancy) and I think that new movie called “Precious” has a single mum in it but I haven’t seen it yet.

Carla October 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Jacinda!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will be calling around to my local Blockbuster and Rogers Video to see if it’s around. I looked it up on imdb.com, and it seems it might just be the one! I’ll repost and let you know!

Baby Mama is freaking hilarious, but you have to REALLY like Tina Fey/Amy Pohler or love SNL. I loved it personally!

Precious is about a teenager who is sexually assaulted by her father and pregnant with his second child; it deals with the jealousy and the rage of her mother towards her. You have to be tough as nails to watch this movie, and I do mean tough as nails. I still want to take a round out of that mother, and smack some common sense into Precious.

Sasha October 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm