Two hats and two worms (well, kind of).

by mssinglemama on July 14, 2008

MY VIRTUAL HELLO

BEN JAMMIN’

A LONG WEEKEND

SINGLE MOMS & DATING

Modern Single Momma and I take to the streets of San Francisco to interview men on what it’s like to date as

See my pictures on Flickr.
MY VIRTUAL HELLO

BEN JAMMIN’

A LONG WEEKEND

SINGLE MOMS & DATING

See my pictures on Flickr.
MY VIRTUAL HELLO

BEN JAMMIN’

A LONG WEEKEND

SINGLE MOMS & DATING

See my pictures on Flickr.
The poor little worm didn’t have a chance. It was my fault.

“Benjamin, look! Look! It’s a worm!”

“Yay!!! Ha ha ha ha!!” He’s jumping up and down with excitement. The worm was being eaten alive by ants and was clearly on his way to a slow, excruciating death anyway. I try to stifle a scream when Benjamin picks it up and it starts flopping around in his little hands. All gross situations call for me, the single mom, to put on the dad hat. So what would a dad do in this situation? But before I can figure out the answer … he does it.

The thing every little boy must do to a worm.

He rips it in half.

“EEEEEEKKKKKKKK!”  I yelp. Benjamin jumps up and down. He’s realized I’m scared. Then it’s all over. He grabs the two worm pieces and moves toward me. Only one of them is still moving, the fat half.

“NOOOOOOOO!!!! OH MY GOD, NOOOOO!!!” He’s now laughing hysterically. Then I calm down. A defense mechanism. I can’t let him on to my fear of all things that crawl or squirm, otherwise we’re talking about years of torture. He backs away. So I distract him with a bucket.

“Worms like buckets. Put him in the bucket, that’d be super fun.”

The two worm halves fit nicely in the bucket and are then buried in dirt. Then dug out again, then buried again and then forgotten for some tree climbing. I have a feeling though … that this insect hating girlie girl complex of mine has got to go.

There will be many, many more worms in my future and mice, and bugs and snakes … and … anything else I should watch out for?

mommatrip July 14, 2008 at 9:34 pm

This story is funny….I just discovered my 18 month old boy is scared of flies….but this too will pass and I know he will be ripping up worms soon- he’s got the look in his eye. I’m not as fearful- was raised with 4 brothers. Face your fears!! Try touching a worm next time you see one. (just an idea)

SingleWorkingMommy July 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Hilarious. Son was/is actually scared of worms. SD showed him one on the back porch the other day and Son didn’t want to get near it.

Then I unwittingly stepped on it moments later and kinda half-smashed it so it died a slow, excruciating death. Now Son thinks it’s great fun to step on and smash worms.

We also have a garter snake that lives in my flower beds. It’s HUGE! The biggest snake I’ve ever seen IRL–not at the zoo or something. I love it. So does Son. I tried to pick it up for him the other day, and SD FREAKED on me. He said it would bite me. I don’t think they bite, but it was pretty big so I backed off…

capitalcitymama July 15, 2008 at 8:36 am

That is so funny! When my little one sees a bug in the house she says yuck, until I get rid of the bug. If we’re outside, she is OK with the bugs. I’m sure that she has picked this all up from me.

littlemansmom July 15, 2008 at 10:51 am

well….at least he didn’t eat it!

Littleman ‘surprised’ me one evening with his new ‘pet’ toad…that apparently wanted to sleep with littleman in his bed (according to littleman the toad said this himself! LOL)….ummmmm I don’t think so buddy!

Veronica Veronica July 15, 2008 at 10:53 am

I’m lucky that most bugs and rodents don’t bother me to badly.

My son and nephew love rolllie-pollie bugs but hate it when they unroll. So they squeeze them shut. Rollie-pollies find that being squeezed in that fashion interferes with their imperative living directive.

I do know that later on groups of boys will make disgusting concoctions of random items pulled from the fridge and dare each other to eat and drink them. They call it fun.

goin-crazy July 15, 2008 at 11:05 am
pisceshanna July 15, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Hahahaha. LB got bit by an ant at daycare (god that’s an ugly sentence), and now gets dead serious/intensely interested in anything crawling. Intensely interested in STOMPING THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

Worms are grosser than ants though. Yuck.

Leslie July 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Mine is a bug lover thru and thru…we usually have a container of something on the kitchen table. Look ma, it likes ___ to eat. Yuck. I can handle the worms but ants are another story. I end up finding them everywhere.

He won’t, however, kill spiders for me 🙁

jonb July 15, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Slim is petrified of bugs. He won’t drive his truck unless you remove the bug. If bugs are on his cup, he won’t drink. A fly lands on him, he freaks. I’m trying to “man him up,” but the Mrs. can only take so much squealing before intervening.

Ms. Single Mama July 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I am so glad I posted this … loving these comments. (as always – my readers KICK ASS).