Animal Attraction

by mssinglemama on July 10, 2008

Tonight Julie (my new single mom friend) and I are taking the kids to a singles event at our Whole Foods called Animal Attraction.

You can meet a man and adopt a dog! How convenient. I won’t be adopting a dog but I will be on the look out for a cute man. Benjamin will be dolled out in his new iHeart t-shirt. If you can’t read it, it says, “I like single moms, do you?” Too cute!

Anyway, I think we’ll be the only single parents there brave enough to bring our kids …

Julie vetoed hiring a sitter because she wants to get all of the Zoe face time she can before another weekend apart. Besides, it will be more fun with the kidlets there and maybe other single parents will bring their kids. I don’t see why not. There will be puppies, food, live music and singles. The perfect ingredients for a fun single parent family outing. Oh, and you can do your grocery shopping!

Regardless, I still have butterflies and there’s no way I could do this alone. Life as a single mom is just so much easier when you have another single mom to hang out with.

Thank god for Julie, Jim and Morgan and for you guys, my readers. It’s just so refreshing to be around other single parents. There are no pity stares. No “So how do you do it?” questions. And we all just get each other. In fact, I’m finding that my friendships with single parents are by far the most comfortable and rewarding relationships in my life right now.

But how do we meet each other in the flesh? Other than jet hopping…

I met Julie through this blog. She picked up on a clue in one of my photos and nailed my location (turns out we live in the same city). I do keep my whereabouts on the down low because, well, I’m just scared of that fluke stalker. But maybe I should come out of the closet – I wonder how many more of you might live in my home city?

So my burning question. How do you meet other single parents? Do you have other single parent friends? If you don’t – you absolutely must make some. It’s amazing.

Morgan and Clare at iHeart are trying to organize national events for single parents to promote their new Single Parent Magazine. So we’ll need amabassadors in every city. Contact us if you’re interested in helping out.

alyseej July 10, 2008 at 5:48 pm

cool page come check out my page. i’m a single mama

pisceshanna July 10, 2008 at 5:55 pm

YAY a single parent magazine! Now I will be able to spot the single dads from across the grocery store!

modernsinglemomma July 10, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Benjamin looks super cute in that shirt!! I would be interested in hearing what the reaction is from teh wholefoods folks (I imagine glares and stares from the married women and big smiles from the men) =)

You ask such a good question, about how do single parents meet eachother. I think we should brainstorm a contest to give away an iHeart toddler tee or onsie to the most creative answer, or real life story. What do you think?

Jim Everson (Depot Dad) July 10, 2008 at 6:12 pm

On Tuesday I sauntered on through the Novato Farmer’s Market after work. I was wearing the iheart t-shirt and darned if three, yes, I said THREE single mothers approached me at different times and asked about the shirt. Holy moly, I’m gonna have to pick up more of these shirts or start doing laundry twice a day! At any rate, they wrote down the web address and may be lurking there right now.

Have a great time! And let us know what happens!

pisceshanna July 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm

I will be posting a pic of my bumper sticker AS SOON AS IT GETS HERE! Grrrr all I want is my damn flat iron and bumper sticker….wahh. Kidding 😛

singleworkingmommy July 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Those are some interesting questions MSM.

I know of two other single moms. One lives on my street. I’m not sure what to think of her yet. She’s a bit older, seems sort of gossipy, and I think I discovered she might have spread a rumor about me and SD.

The other one is someone I used to work with who has is a newly single mom. I reached out to her to hang/talk/whatevs, but never got a response back. *shrug*

I think you are fine to stay somewhat anonymous. You know how I feel about anonymous *wink*. Too bad we don’t live a little bit closer…

singleworkingmommy July 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm

I mean, I know of two other single moms IRL. I know of dozens on the interweb!

Legal Editor Mom July 10, 2008 at 11:33 pm

The only other single moms I know are online. I know no single moms in my area. Despite the divorce rate in the US, I recently told my daughter’s preschool teacher that it seems like NO ONE in our cozy suburb is single, except me! However, I will say that as I’ve become more settled in my newly-single lifestyle, I’ve also become more confident. We go out and instead of the stares and sympathy I’m expecting, I’ve had men comment on how cute my daughter is, then immediately look to my ring finger, and the few I’ve chatted with have commented that it’s my ex’s loss! So not too shabby…

But I think it’s nice that you have a fellow single mom-friend.

Erin July 10, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I only know one single mama in real life. I don’t know very many on the internet either. I suppose I’m sheltered. I just didn’t think there were as many of us out there as there are! Definitely going to have to check out now. Another timesuck…just what I need! 🙂

Oakland Mama July 11, 2008 at 12:27 am

MSM – love your blog and thanks to you and singlemomseeking, I discovered IHeartSingleParents which has become a lifeline for me!

I know there are a lot of bay area single parents out there – maybe we need to form our own Bay Area group on IHeart?

Jessica July 11, 2008 at 1:07 am

I know that there are plenty of single mom groups in my area on I have meet some good friends that way, and so has my son!

I don’t know another way of doing so, I may need to look into the whole foods here and see if they do that as well. I would love that, …except we don’t need another puppy =/

Dan July 11, 2008 at 4:43 am

how’d your adventure go?

mssinglemama July 11, 2008 at 8:15 am

It was awesome! The whole little experience. The music, the food and the puppies. But there were probably 10 women there for every 1 guy and the median age was probably around 40. (Julie and I are 29). And I said median age. We were definitely the only ones in our age range.

BUT – I saw three other single parents there with their kids. And single parent or not, everyone loved Benjamin’s t-shirt. It made people laugh and they all thought it was adorable. AND a single mom saw it and came up to me and said, “Where’d you get that?” Her face was all hopeful and excited.

I think I’m with JIm – Benjamin and I may just have to wear those sucker every day. Morgan – you’re a GENIUS for creating them in the first place.

Conclusion = totally okay to bring the kids but we couldn’t actually pick up men because there weren’t any there. And, the iHeart t-shirts are clearly a must.

And all of you – go find a single mom friend, it’s an absolute must. I guess you can start with the t-shirt. The single parents will just pop out of the crowd.

XOXO to everyone!

Dawn July 11, 2008 at 8:34 am

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I live 2 hours north of you! Let me know if you want to get together, with or without children.(Easier for me with…but I can work something out!)

Ms. Single Mama July 11, 2008 at 9:36 am

Dawn – okay! Might be headed up your way sometime this summer, or if you’re ever down here let me know. Actually I’m thinking of arranging a big single parent get together for (insert my city) here. So … you could come down maybe?

And Morgan – yes, some kind of contest would be great!

Dawn July 11, 2008 at 9:58 am

I would love to. Hopefully it will be a weekend when my mom isnt working so she can babysit. Unless you have a sitter down there that is reliable. Keep me updated.

T July 11, 2008 at 11:27 am

Yes! Sign me up for Texas!! (I live in the Dallas area and would love to help promote the magazine!)

I actually live next door to two single moms. I don’t see them much though. They have teenagers and my two girls are still small. I agree though, the single mom community is where its at!!!

SingleWorkingMommy July 11, 2008 at 9:13 pm

As I was putting my son to bed tonight, I realized I know all sorts of other single moms BUT we are all at different parts of our lives.

Such as, one single mom has a longtime boyfriend and her daughter is a few years older than Son. Another single mom is waaay older than me, and her kids are waaaay older than Son.

So even while being a single mom (or dad) is this great common bonding thing, you kind of have to other similiar interests or things in common, or it’s likely you aren’t going to become life-long friends. Cha know?

I’m glad you had a good time at the event–sorry there weren’t more prospects!

mssinglemama July 11, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Dawn – will do, it’ll be tough. That’s one key about Julie, she lives down the street, you know? Definitely important b/c it’s not like any of us have a ton of time.

T – I used to live in Fort Worth! Miss those cowboys … : )

SWM – I know, good point. Definitely need that click and common interests. Yep, no more prospects but sheesh, I don’t want anymore. Too many irons in the fire. Tires a girl out.

Oakland Mama – do it!

Jessica- is a great idea … that and Craigslist. I haven’t tried Meetup yet, totally should. I really want to get more people from my state on iHeart, maybe advertising it on these sites would help. Hmmm….

blake July 12, 2008 at 1:05 pm

cute baby! i dont really understand what is written on his t-shirt. is it? I like Single mom, do you?

mssinglemama July 12, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Hey Blake .. tks! It’s ” I like single moms, do you?”

Highly, highly recommend the shirts for baby and mommy. They’re so damn cool.