Single Mom S.O.S.: Can she take the kids overseas?

by mssinglemama on June 17, 2008

Occasionally urgent questions land in my Inbox from single moms or married women desperate for help and answers. They are so urgent in nature I call them Single Mom S.O.S’s.

This one is the most urgent of all.

Belle is European and has no family here in the United States.

Her husband, who has abused her physically in the past is refusing to leave their apartment. She has no where to go, no where to stay and wants to know what will happen if she takes her children back to her home city in Europe.

I am being very vague here to protect her anonymity.

I have advised her via e-mail to stay put, to stay calm and to pretend like nothing is wrong. I have also told her that if he lays another hand on she or the children that she must immediately call the police or find a local domestic violence shelter. She’s reading this post, hoping for some advice, encouragement or answers.

What is the safest way to leave your husband when he has violent tendencies?

Can you leave the country with the kids? Could her Ex accuse her of kidnapping?

Previous Single Mom S.O.S. posts:

Her Ex wants full-custody

Explaining the break-up to the kids

Should I leave my husband?

Related posts:

  1. Will our kids be worse off?
  2. Single Mom S.O.S. – Explaining a Break Up
  3. Single Mom S.O.S.: Her ex wants full custody!
  4. Dating a Single Mom, Part 1
  5. Dear Single Men:

{ 3 trackbacks }

» Single Mom SOS: Can she take the kids overseas?
June 17, 2008 at 6:33 pm
Single Mom S.O.S.: Play-doh & Toddler-Goo « Ms. Single Mama
July 20, 2008 at 10:41 pm
Single Mom S.O.S.: Should I leave my ex alone with my son? « Ms. Single Mama
August 9, 2008 at 11:19 pm

{ 34 comments… read them below or add one }

Leave a Comment