How to Make a Toddler Laugh

by mssinglemama on June 12, 2008

1. Tell toddler you are going to make him toast for breakfast.

2. Sit him on the counter or the table so he can’t move or run away.

3. When toddler says, “Toeeess?” answer with, “Toes??? You want to eat my toes???!!! NOOOOOO! Please, please, please don’t eat my toes!!!”

4. Jump up and down acting like your toes are in jeopardy of being eaten. When toddler takes a break from cracking up, say, “So, you want to eat toast right?”

5. Toddler will say, “No! Toes!!!!”

6. Repeat jumping and protesting. Remember to look like you’re genuinely in fear for your toes. Hide toes under table or hold them in hands. Toddler will laugh until he spits up his toast.

Also see How to Get Toddler into the Bath.

How do you make your kids laugh? Really laugh…

{ 1 trackback }

Do something.
October 14, 2008 at 9:25 pm

AlLaf June 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm

My girlfriend is a very strict parent so whenever she leaves, me and her son just scream like retards.

That for some reason makes him laugh a lot.

mssinglemama June 12, 2008 at 2:48 pm

AiLaf – I can’t believe it, but you just made me laugh. THANK YOU. How old is he?

AlLaf June 12, 2008 at 3:36 pm

He’s seven.

spatulahandle June 12, 2008 at 7:30 pm

When my kids were little I used to grab their feet and tell them “Let me smell your feet” and I’d take a whiff and make a funny face and say ” Oh! PEEEEEEEWWWWWW!” Then I would grab a foot again and take another whiff and do it all over again. They would laugh and ask for more.

I don’t smell their feet anymore…they really do stink now. They are 11, 9, and 7 now.

Francoise February 4, 2015 at 3:15 am

AS a voracious redear myself, it excites me to see the love Grace already has at 2 for reading. she loves pointing to the letters she now recognises and tells me about other things that start with that letter. She opens all manner of redear material and begins with One day and as she closes the back cover, The End . When I pick her up the first thing I ask her is, What did you do today? and without fail she will say, Read a book . A few days ago she was playing with an alphabet toy her aunt bought her. It looks like an abacus but is full off blocks showing the alphabet on one side and corresponding pictures on the other side. Listening as she played I recognised part of the song she’s learnt through the TYTTR program. She obviously enjoys the program and it appears to be establishing a foundation of enjoyment for the art of learning. Wonderful.

उन्मुक्त June 12, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Not bad but my toddler is now grown up.
मेरा बेटा तो बड़ा हो गया।

singleworkingmommy June 12, 2008 at 9:35 pm

We do a “toes” thing too. I pretend to eat his toes when I take off his socks. He loves it.

He also LOVES being tickled–and for me to “count his ribs.” He pulls up his shirt high and says “Count da ribs?” and I start doing this little tickle/pinch thing along his rib cage. LOVES IT.

I have a very odd sense of humor (I was constantly told “You are so WEIRD!” in hs–but in a good way, not a psycho way), and I sometimes wonder if Son will have one too.

mssinglemama June 12, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Yay! I LOVE these games … gimmie more.

SWM – the ribs! So funny. I’m going to try that one ….

And Spatula – Benjamin’s feet actually smell already! He’s had stinky feet since he was a wee little guy. Very weird.

What’s up with that ???? guy – have to hit that link.

The Last Spartan June 13, 2008 at 3:04 am

When my oldest was still a toddler, I was still in my medical training and it was very difficult for me to bond with him. Some of the best laughs however, did come when I would pretend to lose something that was obviously visible (eyeglasses on your forehead, for example) and I would pretend to be perplexed as he pointed and giggled and jumped up and down. This would go on possibly for minutes on end as daddy would just pretend to be plain clueless. Gee, perhaps that’s where it all started.

One thing I would say in addition is that there is simply no sound that is sweeter than that laughter you describe. When you accomplish it…just keep doing what you’re doing and make them laugh over and over again.

mommypie June 13, 2008 at 3:35 am

So cute! When MP was little little BUBBLE WRAP would send her into hysterical laughing fits. I’d pop a bubble and she’d nearly throw up she’d laugh so hard.

mssinglemama June 13, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Last Spartan … that’s a classic. I will do that tonight! Thanks for the reminder, my Dad used to do that to us.

MP – bubble wrap? God, that’s cute.

lwayswright June 13, 2008 at 10:27 pm

That’s so cute! I have toddler grandkids now….wow I’m old. it amazes me what they find amusing.

Alexis June 13, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I chase my little guy around while singing and dancing at the same time. He really finds this hysterical- who wouldn’t? He starts to dance while laughing real hard.

wvugradstudent June 14, 2008 at 12:53 am

I got as far as

Remember to look like you’re genuinely in fear for your

and expected “life” to follow. When I then saw

I too cracked up.

Cheryl June 14, 2008 at 11:20 am

My daughter calls toast the same thing (toooooes?!), so I am SO going to do this the next time I make breakfast!! 🙂