The Biker

by mssinglemama on June 8, 2008

He was my first post-divorce boyfriend and the first man to get me onto a Harley…

___________

It took him months to convince me to do it. I’m not sure which scared me more – him or the Harley

“C’mon, do you think I’d ever let anything happen to you? And you’re gonna love it!”

He saw something in me that I couldn’t see. And every time he looked at me, I felt alive again.

We met on my mother’s gravel road. Just weeks beforehand Benjamin and I had been in my posh little urban neighborhood. Now we were completely alone in the woods. Even the sounds were quiet. Wild birds, big zipping bugs and occasionally an animal walking through the forest.

We had come this way before, but this time we heard voices. Seconds later a pack of dogs leaped out of the bushes and ran straight toward the stroller. And then I heard his voice, “HEY! Get back! NOW!”

The dogs came to a stop, my 7-month-old’s head was in tact and standing in front of us was a man who looked like he could have squished any of my city boys into a tin can.

He had camoflauge pants on, a red bandana and his brown and blond beard hit right above his belly. So not my type.

“Sorry,” he said as he pulled the dogs back into his yard. I could see a camp fire through the brush and around it sat three older, greying men. I glanced at the drive way. Three bikes parked by the garage.

Bikers. Real bikers. Wow. When he invited us to stop by any time I noticed his eyes – light crystal blue, soft and strong.

Soon we were coming by at least three or four nights a week. I needed to escape my mom’s house and the Biker needed some company. Each night we would linger, both unsure about how to ask each other out. The ink wasn’t dry on my divorce yet and he had been living alone in the woods for years. But despite his self-imposed isolation, a woman had found him. And he wanted me. Or maybe he just wanted me permanently affixed to his bike or in his kitchen, serving him and loving him forever and ever. I couldn’t really tell.

Three months later, I finally agreed to jump on the back of his Harley for our first date. I sprinted up the hill like a giddy teenager. I could hear his engine reving up and just seconds later there he was.

I stood still staring at him, not sure what to do. He smiled and then started laughing.

“What are you waiting for? I’m not going to bite.”

I climbed on the back. And then he just took off. I shrieked a little and then grabbed him tight. We rode past my mother’s house and then over the ridge.

“Look! Look at the sunset!” He screamed over the bike’s roar. I had already noticed it. The clouds were a deep pink and read against a bright blue sky. I lost my breath. Went it came back, I nestled my cheek against his back and inhaled his scent – musky, like the woods that surrounded us. He was free and finally, so was I.

In that moment this city girl fell in love with dirty bikers.

[Photo: A picture of a sunset on the same road a few nights later]

{ 11 trackbacks }

September 2, 2009 at 7:20 am
» Ms. Single Mama Uncensored | Single Parent Media Group
September 19, 2009 at 5:10 pm
Hello, my lovelies. | Ms. Single Mama
August 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Cathouse Teri June 8, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I had a hard time choosing what to write about. My first post-divorce date was so amazing. But had to go with the fantasy.

Good story!

Yvie June 8, 2008 at 11:43 pm

For a first date, this rocks! And honestly, this really made me smile a lot. I can really picture how things went into my head. You really wrote it well and painted it before us.

Awesome entry, Mommy. 🙂

Love,
Yvie

mssinglemama June 9, 2008 at 7:23 am

CT and Yvie – tks so much …

DH – We knew each other for three months b/f our first date! Completely different situation. The incident Dad’s House is refering to can be found here:

You’ll cringe. : )

Lance June 9, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Very cool, I like it. I kinda want to hear more about the biker and the single mama, like the GOOD stuff.

I just remembered this, but one of my best dates was when a chick I was after taught me to ride a motorcycle…I took her Honda for a spin around the neighborhood and it was a total rush. I never got anywhere with her (no game back then), but very good times.

AlLaf June 9, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I think my best “date” is with a girl I met in a bar when I lived in Montreal.

The song was Hand That Feeds by Ninch Inch Nails was booming. And when the bridge kicked off (see keyboard around 2:10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7SKP4PJ2w), the strobe lights started. I turned around to watch the dance floor from above. I immediatly saw her. I think I feel in love just watching her move to the strobe light during those 20 seconds of keyboard. She wasn’t my type. She looked like those ‘suicide girls’. She saw me looking at her.

She offered me a drink and we barely even talked the rest of the night, just looking at each others. Then we went to her place. We barely even talked. We just both lied naked in her bed, caressing each other with both of our hearts racing as if we were sprinting, listening to music until the sun came up. We didn’t even have sex.

It was so weird but I think that’s the defenition of a “soulmate”. I called her back but I was so nervous, I kinda put my foot in my mouth a couple of times. We didn’t talk for a few weeks and eventually I met my current gf, with whom I had an awesome 1st date too. Just sitting on the of her apartment, drinking wine from the bottle, talking about ourselves.

Still, sometimes, I wonder how it would’ve turned out.

AlLaf June 9, 2008 at 1:47 pm

on the of her appartment*
(sorry)

Miranda February 3, 2015 at 2:53 am

袁健滔 > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!你係 one of 我o既 favourite bleggor 呀!!!! 我好鐘意睇你寫治治o架!!好啦我而家集百家之大成兼秘技, 無可能再煮衰o架啦下一次!btw, 我 pre-order o左芝麻貓(gomaneko)個 DVD deluxe boxset, 超爆開心.

Alexis June 9, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Man- good story. Makes me wanna keep reading. And the feeling of being free….that was the one thing I was so afraid to lose when I was pregnant. Is it possible to have for ever and ever at some point throughout our lives? I hope so. My grandmother re-married after my grandfather died when she was 81. I bet she felt it then. It is such a wonderful feeling.

dadshouse June 10, 2008 at 3:29 am

Months, minutes, yada yada… time is a relative thing. It was your first date. He could have been an axe murderer, same as me! (Hang on, that came out wrong… I meant, same as my date feared I might be. Um, that’s not much better, is it? )

Zandria June 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I went on a motorcycle ride last week for the first time since I was a young kid! It was way fun. 🙂

liv October 16, 2008 at 7:51 am

mmmm…..nice. sometimes finding something so different is so very nice. i’m not after a bad boy…but i was looking for someone who met the distinct requirement: not a douchebag. believe it or not, that’s harder to find than you’d think.

mwah!

Desi March 11, 2009 at 2:25 am

haha! Thanks, missy, for pointing this out. I guess there's hope, but… Geez. The only biker near me weighs about 400 pounds…

Wholesale Sunglasses Cheap April 14, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Sunglasses on sale along with exactly what much better moment when compared with thanksgiving to be able to convey which sentiment