My toothless child.

by mssinglemama on June 2, 2008

[This post is dedicated to Benjamin’s first two front teeth.]

You might remember when Benjamin lost his front tooth on Christmas Day. After he took a big fall, the tooth cracked. Eventually the dentist had to pull it out (there were straps, it was horrible). Lately I’ve noticed his second front tooth greying … fading away almost.

A quick Google search for “discolored toddler tooth” tells me there’s no hope – the tooth’s roots are damaged and it will eventually fall out

Here are my words: “It will be fine, he’ll just have a gaping hole where his two front teeth are supposed to be for two-four more years. No big deal.”

Here is my brain: “F**K!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!”

It must have been the bad fall he had a few weeks ago at day care (my kid has no fear and is 100% boy. His falls are frequent and mighty – the day care is not to blame … believe me).

It sucks though. Seriously. They might have to pull this one out too. And what if he has speech issues? Or can’t bite into steak? And then, there will be the inevitable, “You’re a lousy mom” glares from mean parents.

Saturday night, it was too hot upstairs so I brought Benjamin to my bed. We were both asleep when he reached out for my head and pulled me into his chest. I’m not sure if he was comforting me or if it was the other way around, but in that moment I realized a few things:

1. Benjamin is about to become really protective of his mama.

2. He is the best thing that has and ever will happen to me.

3. And, teeth or no teeth – at least he has everything else, including his sweet, sweet little heart.

We’ll be visiting the dentist on Thursday. Keep you posted…

[Photo: Benjamin this weekend – notice the one missing front tooth…but, he’s still THE cutest little guy on the planet.}

If you liked this post, you might like, “Rock a Bye Baby – I want to kill the Barnes and Noble Lady.”

The dentist says the rotten tooth can say, it doesn’t need to be pulled out at all. It will just stay there and won’t even get darker. But I do have to keep my eye out for a possible infection.

Yvie June 2, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Benjamin’s such an angel! Regardless of losing his front teeth, he’s going to grow up into one fine young man. Of course thanks to Momma. 🙂

Which reminds me of my son. He scurries toward me and kiss me. He’s just 18 months old but he’s so sweet already.

Ah children, aren’t they precious?

Crazy Computer Dad June 2, 2008 at 11:57 pm

I was four or so when I killed my two front teeth. It was on a cement barrel that they used to have in playgrounds WAY back when. I still remember EVERY painful detail. There was a lot of screaming, a lot of blood. I was trying to run up it. My shoes would stick most of the time. The last time they didn’t.

It was by far one of the more innocuous things I did as a child. The rest involve emergency rooms, stitches, dislocations, punctures, firemen, policmen, and more. 🙂

Jim Everson June 3, 2008 at 1:37 am

Well in this case, don’t listen to your brain. Listen to your words. They are correct. It is no big deal. Benjamin is awesome, and like all kinds his age, whatever happens is normal. He’s not going to care, so why should you? And in a few years, he gets new teeth and you’re going to miss the cute little gap.

Leslie June 3, 2008 at 9:07 am

It could be worse: I babysat for a mom that took a tumble down the stairs carrying her toddler & out came the two front teeth. She felt horrible. Needless to say it was a very big deal when the big teeth grew in years later. At least he’s knocking them out himself 😉 He’s such a doll…it gives his grin character!

Sparkling Mama June 3, 2008 at 9:30 am

This happened to my friend’s son and another friend’s daughter as well. It’s not your fault and you are not alone!

mssinglemama June 3, 2008 at 9:51 am

You guys are so amazing … really, I feel so much better already.

And Crazy Computer Dad – stop scaring me!

Edy February 3, 2015 at 7:49 am

Emily – I showed my fndreis this picture yesterday, and we couldn’t stop laughing! I can totally tell that Liam is trying so hard to make Morgan laugh. It obviously worked!July 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Tonya June 3, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Aww! What a cutie! And I love how you’re noticing he’s protective of you. Aren’t they just the closest thing to angels on this planet?!

*sigh* Now I can’t wait to scoop up my girls and give them big hugs!

Don’t we judge ourselves so harshly as mothers?

mommypie June 3, 2008 at 4:58 pm

He’s adorable — the missing teeth just add MORE charm! Someday you’ll look back and miss that sweet open space. And they’ll grow in. 🙂

My MP does the same thing sometimes with me when we’re asleep. Heart melting.

littlemansmom June 3, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Even if he was completely toothless for the rest of his life…with those adorable cheeks no one would EVER notice!!!!!

I love how protective he’s becoming…I remember when littleman began that phase……I have a story for that one…..

dadshouse June 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm

There’s nothing harder for a parent than seeing their kid in pain at a doctor’s office (or hospital. yikes.) I remember my son after an ear operation. I turned to ashen white that the nurse’s made me leave before they had 2 patients to deal with.

Major bummer about Benjamin’s teeth. If you need to get him replacements, look into some shiny bling, like Flavor Flave

(just kidding)

SingleWorkingMommy June 3, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Poor Ben–but he’ll be OK. I’m sure dentist will tell you that, too. You know, I noticed his lack of teeth in your one video–I just thought “That’s odd. It looks like all his other teeth have come in but that front one hasn’t.”

And Crazy Computer Dad is scaring the beejesus out of me, too–STOPPIT.

Although, I did knock out two of my baby teeth–one top and one bottom–when I was about 5 or so. I skateboarded down a neighbor’s hilly driveway on my stomach. I fell, and smashed my face up real good.

esa June 3, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Ah, the saga of the knocked out teeth. My 14 year old daughter knocked out her front tooth when she was 22 months old, then when the new tooth grew in (when she was in first grade), she promptly fell and knocked THAT one out. Looking back on the toothless years, it was o.k. For a couple of years it just looked like she hadn’t gotten the tooth yet, then for the rest of the time it just looked like she lost it early. It was a big hit in the preschool class! For more about what we’re doing now, read
Busy Mom's Journal: Am I Cheating on my Dentist?

SingleMomSeeking June 4, 2008 at 12:57 am

First of all, you are such a great mama! Please know that.

Second of all, this post has stayed with me all day. I have my own mother-guilt around teeth. In preschool, Mae got not on, not two, but three cavities. Bad, bad mama! I was brushing her teeth every night. For real. Why? Oh why? I felt so awful.

Just like Esa says above, you’ll look back on this time, a year or two from now, and laugh… You’re a super mom.

Casey June 7, 2008 at 3:08 pm

OK, this might seem a little strange, but I was browsing your blog today because I am stuck in the house with my foot elevated after a hornet sting and I have decided to methodically browse through every bookmark on our computer to waste time. I believe my boyfriend knows you from high school, so here we are.
I’m a pediatric speech language and I wanted to ease your worry about speech issues – I can’t help myself.
Losing front teeth has the potential to alter the placement of the tongue of all sounds made when the tongue is placed on the alveolar ridge (bumpy place behind the teeth), namely t, d,l, z, s, and a few that are made a little farther back on the palate, like sh. However, losing these teeth should only alter the perceived sound of s and z and maybe sh…the rest of the sounds, while his tongue might stick out a little, won’t sound any different because teeth are missing. And it is typical for children to have trouble making s,z,and sh anyway, even with intact teeth, until they are 5 or 6. If he does have trouble making these sounds, he will probably make them like a ‘th’, which will be what 50% his peers with be doing anyway.
This is not to say that he won’t have speech issues, because many kids do (especially boys). But having serious speech issues caused by missing front teeth ALONE is pretty unlikely. Like I said, the sound errors he’s likely to make are ones that 50% of kids his age will be making and should go away pretty easily when he gets big boy teeth.
Okay, I hope this makes you feel better 🙂

Casey June 7, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Oh, I meant to say speech language PATHOLOGIST. All the speech talk got me all flustered and excited.

soundcloud bot April 30, 2013 at 5:42 pm

hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here.
I did however expertise a few technical points using this web site, as I experienced
to reload the web site many times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?

Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective
exciting content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

im Vergleich (Video) March 5, 2014 at 2:52 am

This is a topic that is near to my heart… Best wishes! Exactly where are your contact details

privatkredit durch baufinanzierung ablösen April 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hi there, I discovered your website by means of Google whilst searching
for a related subject, your website got here up, it seems
to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, just changed into alert to your weblog thru Google, and found
that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for
brussels. I’ll appreciate when you continue this in future.

Numerous people shall be benefited from your writing.

Bruh February 4, 2015 at 10:08 am

Avendo lavorato pessro uno studio dentistico mi e8 rimasta un po’ di deformazione professionale e quindi guardo la bocca a chiunque e spesso rabbrividisco ..Bisogna curare bene la bocca perche8 e8 importantissimo, glielo dico sempre a Riccardino, il quale, devo ammettere che e8 proprio bravo (come Stellina e Sebastian).Complimenti a Catharina per il suo piccolino: e8 bellissimo!!!!!Buona serataIvana

buy instagram followers boydcom August 7, 2013 at 6:35 am

This is the perfect website for everyone who really wants to understand this topic.

You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want
to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that has been discussed for
a long time. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

Eddy October 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new
comments are added- checkbox and from now on
whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
There has to be an easy method you can remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!

spiegelreflexkamera test January 8, 2014 at 12:23 pm

spiegelreflexkamera test
Actually no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of after that its up
to other users that they will assist, so here it takes place.

spiegelreflexkamera test

kaffeevollautomat test 2014 January 8, 2014 at 11:43 pm

kaffeevollautomat test
Hello there, There’s no doubt that your site might be having
browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Safari,
it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.
I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Apart from that, wonderful site! kaffeevollautomat test

waschmaschine test January 10, 2014 at 3:50 am

waschmaschinen test
This is the right web site for anybody who wants to find
out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not
that I actually will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a
fresh spin on a subject that has been written about for years.
Excellent stuff, just wonderful! waschmaschine test

entsafter test January 14, 2014 at 5:31 pm

entsafter test
I for all time emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, as if like to read it afterward my links will too.
entsafter test