Hollywood’s single parent couple?

by mssinglemama on May 27, 2008

Reports say Kate Hudson and Lance Armstrong are an item.

They were spotted leaving a Monaco hotel room this weekend en route to a boat trip. Wouldn’t that be nice? I wonder if they brought the kids? Armstrong’s twin girls are seven and his son is nine. Hudson’s son, Ryder, is just four. I’m sure they’re both keeping the kids out of the picture, the fling has only been going on for a few weeks.

I’m a huge fan of Kate Hudson. We’re the same age (29), I love her acting and she’s a single mom. Usually don’t even get into celebrity gossip but I had to pass this on. Just think, if they hit it off (for real) Lance and Kate could become Hollywood’s shining single parent couple.

And if you ever feel down about your divorce, like we all do sometimes, think on this … Lance Armstrong won seven Tour de France’s and survived cancer, but he couldn’t make his marriage work.

What do you guys think? Any news to add to this story that I missed? It’s actually kind of weird because both of their exes, Sheryl Crow and Owen Wilson, used to date.

If you’re really into this story, check out this post from an L.A. Times blogger – she thinks Kate is just another one of Lance’s girls and is shocked Hudson would fall for his smooth moves. And who says Kate isn’t taking Lance for a ride? Us single moms like to have some fun too!

And, besides, Kate has said in several interviews that she has no intentions of ever getting married again, instead she’ll follow the model of her mom (Goldie Hawn) and Kurt Russell – permanent companions without any ink on the deal.

Hmmm…. I love this stuff!

Random Conclusions:

• Marriage is hard - and every married couple out there deserves major props.
  • Celebrity single parents are fun to spy on.
  • Kate Hudson rocks!

[Kate Hudson Photo Credit: Wikipedia]

1. Shacking up…with another single parent.
  2. Celebrity Single Mom of the Month? Moi?
  3. E-harmony Dating Review: for the single parent or any other dater
  4. Breaking News: A really, really cool single parent network!
  5. Being a Single Mom With a Glass Half Full

whatmenthink May 28, 2008 at 12:42 am

Is it preferable for single parents to be permanent companions?

I mean, It can be confusing for young children to have a father, mother, step-parent, step-grandparents, step siblings, etc. But single parents deserve companionship.

shannon May 28, 2008 at 11:20 am

This cracked me up-I actually read your line about “And if you ever feel down about your divorce, like we all do sometimes, think on this … Lance Armstrong won seven Tour de France’s and survived cancer, but he couldn’t make his marriage work” to my husband. We both thought that was incredibly comical-because it’s so true. Husband said, Ummmm, did he really try though?
In addition, I found one of those rare attentive, helpful, good men that are left-but as Formerly Single Mom, it’s still very hard to adjust. I’m used to doing it all myself! (And seriously, isn’t my way the right way?).

Carlos December 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Christine Stewart – The classiest, most butauifel, fun wedding ever! Thanks Paul and Patti, the Wood family and of course, Katie and Jeremy. It’s just a shame there was no food to eat, everyone was half starved!! LOL!

Liz May 28, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I LOVE Kate Hudson. I especially loved her in Raising Helen…when she was thrown into single motherhood with her nephew and nieces and all the struggles that go along with it.

Tina May 28, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I am all about the Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn deal. I am 7.5 months pregnant, and although my boyfriend and I are very happy and excited, we have no plans to marry. Not anytime soon anyway. I was married once and it sucked. Shrug. I always deflect the marriage question with the K.R./G.H. defense.

mssinglemama May 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm

WMT – there’s no preference, but if a single parent falls for a single parent – why not? Just ask Shannon…

Shannon – so funny you and your hubby related to that thought, seriously – think about it! He couldn’t survive his marriage, yeah – maybe he didn’t really try, but still!

Liz – I LOVE that movie too.

Tina – good for you, definitely shouldn’t get married just b/c you’re pregnant. My friend was in the exact same situation – now her daughter is 4 and she and the father are still 100% together and stunningly happy.

The Last Spartan May 28, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I used to be very conservative on this issue. As I get older and observe more, I think that it’s fair to say that families come in all sorts of varieties that can work.

It’s not so much what the pieces are but rather how they fit together and how the emotional needs of the children are met.

I try not to look to any celebrity for role modeling because quite honestly, do we know them? I mean, really? Do we know that Lance Armstrong wasn’t a failure in his first marriage because he was not available to be part of the family? How do we know he’s not a jerk to the women in his life?

I think that marriage may no longer be a prerequisite but the dynamics have to work. Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong.

Leslie May 29, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I didn’t pay her much attention until I saw this a little while ago :P

She’s such a ‘normal’ single parent representation in the hollywood crowd!

ModernSingleMomma May 29, 2008 at 5:06 pm

What will it take to recruit Kate and/or Lance to iHeart? =)
We were just going to ask our members what celebrity single parents they admire and then we thought about trying the 6 degrees of separation thing and seeing about getting connected to one of them!

Have you read The Tipping Point? It’s all about finding the “connectors,” and you, Ms.SingleMama, just might be one!

I like Kate Hudson too =)

Jaclyn May 30, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Wow, I just loved that line about surviving cancer and the 7 De Tour France…but not being able to make the marriage work. No offense on him or anything, but that line just made me smile, because no one is perfect and has it all together.

I’ve always liked the Goldie and Kurt relationship and yes, I too really liked Raising Helen. My sister and her boyfriend have a child together (she’s divorced and has 2 kids from her marriage) and live together and behave as a married couple…but they aren’t married and don’t ever plan to be. Honestly, you can be “married” and have that commitment without actually being married. And if people want the whole family thing, well, you can have a ceremony (though not legal) and even the reception…and still not have to legally attach yourself to that person. Makes sense to me. You can love a person without signing a piece of paper.

Lance June 2, 2008 at 7:00 am

I think that’s pretty cool, had no idea they were dating. I actually suspect it’s tough for top tier celebrities to date, because they can only date each other and they’ve always got the press in their faces. It’s must be a strain.

I read a great article in Forbes awhile ago where Kate Hudson was dating billionare Ron Burkle. She doesn’t mess around. You can find that here: