Single Mama Beauty Tip #2

by mssinglemama on May 24, 2008

Back by popular demand, Single Mama Beauty Tips!

One of the sexiest things about single moms (for the guys) and one of the most trying (for us) is the fact that we are on top of it … beauty wise. But it’s not easy – and there’s nothing worse than dragging a screaming toddler through the beauty section only to bring the product home and find out it sucks.

Talk about guilt. You’ve wasted time and money. So here’s another tip.

How to Get Gorgeous Hair – (for real).

The Challenge: After my pregnancy, my hair lost it’s luster and transformed from thick and curly to thin and flat. Enough to make even the strongest of single moms sob herself to sleep.

The Solution: Lush’s Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo, Lush’s American Cream conditioner and the FHI Black Turbo Hair Dryer.

Side Effects: Constant smelling and touching of hair, could be annoying to people around you.

If you haven’t discovered Lush yet, get to your nearest Macy’s pronto, or visit their website. Their products are all-natural, never tested on animals and most actually have expiration dates because the ingredients are so fresh. This shampoo and conditioner has seriously transformed my hair. First of all, it smells delicious FOR DAYS. And secondly, my hair is thick again and shiny again – just like it used to be! And after two years of thinking my hair was a lost cause, you can imagine why I’m so ecstatic about this. [Tip: only use it every other day because it's a bit heavy, you don't need much.]

The trial size is $8.75, start with that to make sure you love it because the larger bottles are more expensive. I’ve been using my trial sizes for over a month and they’re not even half way finished.

After realizing that hair is worth an investment (I had never spent more than $6.00 on shampoo before in my life) I decided to retire my old hair dryer for a brand new salon dryer (on the advice of my stylist). I had been showering at night just to avoid drying my hair because my old dryer left it frazzled, dry and frizzy. The FHI Black Turbo kicks ass. Find it here on Misikko, based in Philadelphia, the website offers a plethera of the latest and greatest hairstyling tools at a steep discount. For example, the FHI Turbo is normally $195.00 but it’s only $129.99 at Misikko. And they also have great deals on flat irons and ceramic flat irons

Anything else I should know about my hair care? Please enlighten me. Leave hair beauty tips or any others in the comment field.

If you missed it, Single Mama Beauty Tip #1: Tan Towels

1. Single Mama Beauty Tip #1: Tan Towels
  2. Single Mama Signing Off (for a few days)
  3. Obama’s Single Mama
  4. Two new single mama bloggers you have to meet.
  5. Boyfriend + toddler + work = tired single mama

{ 1 trackback }

Flatten Your Fear & Win a Flat Iron! « Ms. Single Mama
June 28, 2008 at 8:30 am

Lauren May 24, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Lush is absolutely amazing! Another product of theirs that smells amazing (and does great things for your hair, too) is the Jasmin and Henna Fluff-Ease.

I really need to go on a Lush shopping spree soon. There are so many things I want to try!

singleworkingmommy May 24, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Oooooh! Lush product recos. I’ve tried a few here and there–(the shampoo bars mostly), and while I liked them OK, I just didn’t think they were 100% right for me.

But I love the company and their philosophy, so I’m so going to try these.

And I think I’m going to do it–finally buy a “good” hair dryer. I’ve bought more expensive ones at Sally’s, etc., but they were never that great. This one is worth it though, no? Does it dry your hair “fast”?

mssinglemama May 24, 2008 at 9:24 pm

SWM – Before this hair dryer, I couldn’t stand using my old one because it could only dry quickly on super, super fast speed. This one is ceramic and the box says it “cuts drying time in half.” It took me about 8-10 minutes to dry it on the low speed this morning.

Is that a long time? I can’t compare b/c I never used to use mine. Hope that helps. What I know for sure – it doesn’t fry my hair.

Lauren – you SO deserve that spree b/c you just had Anna – go for it, if you can. Mine was $27 bucks on a larger size of the shampoo. But, I’m soooo happy. All day, if I want to smile – I just smell my hair.

Foolery May 25, 2008 at 1:33 am

Hey Ms. Single,

Thanks for swinging by Foolery today. I haven’t been there myself ALL DAY, and I have been in mild withdrawal.

You have a great blog here! I’m feeling too unhip because I buy the cheapest darned shampoo and conditioner I can find, then blow it dry with a $15.95 Vidal Sassoon hair dryer from Walgreens. Sigh. I remember being single . . . I think.

Cheers!

Laurie @ Foolery

sometimesispill May 26, 2008 at 11:20 am

Oh, I’ve been looking for a decent shampoo for my fussy, high-maintenance, thin hair…thanks for the tip. Lush is great. I discovered a store in Harvard Square last year and have made several trips since, every time I feel like splurging. It’s so worth it! I love their Ocean Salt “vodka margarita” exfoliator. It smells like summer.

Ann June 23, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I have a FHI flat iron and I LOVE it! I bought it more than 3 years ago and it still works great–it looks a little worn, but works fine. My friends who have tried it insist on getting their own. I didn’t know FHI made blow dryers, I’ll have to check it out.

Jonh May 25, 2009 at 3:06 am

i been search info about this topic too… to find a solution for my hair proble.. try this site, it works great on my ;) Buy propecia

Be Creative June 5, 2009 at 4:53 am