The Best Break-up Song Ever

by mssinglemama on May 6, 2008

I am a long time supporter of yours. Months ago, I hopped onto BarackObama.com and joined your fantastic online community. Nice work on that social network by the way. Very nice. I have found lots of cute men in my area who are also card carrying liberals…and I feel like I am truly part of a movement with like-minded individuals.

However, I think you need to read this. Because I can’t help but notice, that my e-mails from either you, Michelle or your campaign manager are increasing in frequency – to as many as three a day!

I hate to admit this, but like other brands (and, yes, you are a brand), I get a bad taste in my mouth for anyone who spams the hell out of my inbox. And, after a while, I just don’t open them anymore. In other words, you’re being annoying. And annoying is not good.

Please, please, for the love of the Democratic party and all things holy – please stop breaking the e-mail laws of etiquette! It’s just bad form.

I still love you and will still be voting for you in November.

Sincerely,

Ms. Single Mama

I still love you and will still be voting for you in November.

Sincerely,

Ms. Single Mama

I still love you and will still be voting for you in November.

Sincerely,

Ms. Single Mama
Been thinking of Kris lately. I’ve had a few weak moments pop up over the past few days. I try to squelch them… try not to wonder why. Songs like this help. And plus, Bob Dylan is beautiful.

What are your favorite break up songs? Songs that take you back but still push you forward?

P.S. I’m fine really, actually in very high spirits! Just have my moments…

Shannon May 6, 2008 at 10:16 am

My ex-husband (the band guy, BsDaddy) used to do a solo of Foo Fighters, Everlong and it’s always been so powerful and evokes such sadness when I hear it. It might not really be a break up song, but it serves that purpose for me. And of course, when my new husband and I were broken up, for nearly two years, every time I heard Mr. Brightside by the Killers, I felt angry and sad all at once. We discovered the Killers together during our “first time around”. Now I can finally hear the Killers again without breaking down.
I admire you, moving on even though you still had feelings for Kris. It’s so hard to know what to do. And when our kids get attached, it’s even harder. My B still horribly misses the boyfriend I had before M and I got married.

sometimesispill May 6, 2008 at 1:50 pm

“Stay or Leave” by Dave Matthews, from his Some Devil solo album. I don’t think a lot of DM fans even know about it, but I played it ad nauseum during my last break-up. It’s lovely.

Theresa February 5, 2015 at 8:59 am

1426Excellent post however I was wanitng to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!

mssinglemama May 6, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Shannon – ahhh, yes, the Killers – listening to them right now actually. Fortunately, was single minded when I first heard the album so all pleasureful.

Sometimes – I love that song! Love DMB.

kevin May 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Interesting topic. I never thought of songs as break-up or make-up songs, but how can Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive not come to mind when you think great break-up songs.

QTMama May 6, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I Will Survive was listened to by yours truly MANY times when Dick walked out!! Accompanied by lots of pointing and dancing. 😉

Tracy May 6, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Jann Arden’s “I Just Don’t Love You”…. way powerful

Valerie May 6, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Silver Springs and Dreams by Fleetwood Mac when I am sad. Lil Red and Don’t need you by Bikini Kill when I am angry.

Rebs May 6, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Definitely ‘Big Girls Don’t Cry’ by Fergie!

Vuqar February 3, 2015 at 2:25 am

Thanks for another maiefgicnnt article. Where else may anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the search for such information.

brave one May 6, 2008 at 9:13 pm

“Pride”, by Rachid.

cylkis May 7, 2008 at 3:21 pm

never thought of this as a breakup song but more “stop regretting what ain’t happening”. only song i ever put there was “this diamond ring” (which wasnt really recorded by Gary Lewis & the playboys). I was just a you punk then & this girl hurt me bad. Got over it … living is the best therapy

mssinglemama May 8, 2008 at 9:49 am

Wise words Cylkis – living IS the best therapy!

Ino October 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Fuck off and Die By Greenday :]

Jamie January 9, 2009 at 9:09 am

I can’t find Jann Arden’s I just don’t love you anymore…does anyone have the link?
Thanks!

Gemma July 24, 2009 at 6:48 am

Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, I love that she is so calm and generous in her loss. And I also love the the phrase “the sound of your loneliness like a heartbeat drives you mad”. I just think it’s a beautiful graceful way of accepting heartbreak

Melons December 24, 2009 at 4:34 am

I found when my boy left me for a biatch was.. give me your eyes- Brandon Heath.. sad as if you like sad songs when you are sad 😀

Chris January 22, 2010 at 6:52 am

ABBA The Winner Takes It All is one of the saddest songs ever written.

Susie January 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I have two nominees for the best break up song:
“Letter to Elise” by the Cure
“Late for the Sky” by Jackson Browne
They both slay me.

Sar March 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

“In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel from the movie Say Anything.

Cookbook Confessions May 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I am new to this blog, and although I have been married for 9 years with two kiddos, I LOVE your blog! My BFF is going through a divorce right now and has two little ones… think I may head her this way to check it out.

Two of the best break up songs:
Send Her my Love – Journey