Toddler-free (for one week?)

by mssinglemama on April 30, 2008

This weekend Benjamin discovered that if he took his tricycle to the top of our front yard he could zoom all the way down the little hill, down the driveway and then take a hard right turn onto the sidewalk. He nearly flipped twice. So after his nap on Saturday it was off to Target – to find a safe replacement – one with rubber wheels and more weight.

Our pick: the Huffy Thomas Lo Rider Bicycle.

When Benjamin saw the box he started jumping up and down, “Train! Thomas! Traaaiinnn…chooooo…biiiikkkkkeee! More? More? More?”

“Okay, baby.” I know, I know – I’m a sucker.

But it’s only the Thomas obsession. Gets me every time. And the box said it had rubber coated wheels. It’ll do, and if not, I’ll just sell it on Craigslist and find a different one.

So we buy it. We come home, jump out of the car and open the box. His two-year-old ameba brain is, of course, expecting a bike to pop out. Mine is more prepared. I have my little screw driver, my hammer (don’t know why I grabbed a hammer) and some scissors.

And then, there it is. A pile of pieces. This is easy? I tried to breath, it had been a long day…a very long day. And for a split moment I actually wished I had a husband to help. But I sucked it up and dove in.

The two page instruction manual was useless. There weren’t even clear labels or illustrations of each part. Yes, guys, I need them to tell me what each little screw, nut and bolt is. Then Benjamin took off with the bicycle seat and two tires. He stopped at the front porch where he knelt down and started hammering the tires ferociously into the pavement. BANG. BANG. BANG. I think he was trying to help.

But not even Benjamin could save me from the Thomas Lo Rider. I had to give up. He didn’t even mind. He knew it was a piece of junk anyway. So we piled all of the pieces back into the box and now they’re in the trunk of my car. I’m trying to simmer down a bit before I bring it or should I say them back to Target.

Do the people who make these products actually open them up and try to set them up themselves? Who wrote those instruction manuals? WHY???? WHY HUFFY??? Big jerks.

Or…am I a total idiot because I couldn’t put this thing together?

Our pick: the Huffy Thomas Lo Rider Bicycle.

“Okay, baby.” I know, I know – I’m a sucker.

Or…am I a total idiot because I couldn’t put this thing together?

Our pick: the Huffy Thomas Lo Rider Bicycle.

“Okay, baby.” I know, I know – I’m a sucker.

Or…am I a total idiot because I couldn’t put this thing together?
My mom has had Benjamin since Tuesday morning (his dad dropped him at her house after their Monday night sleepover). She’d been dying to see him and begged me to hand him over for a night. I did, gladly. “Take him. He’s been driving me nuts!”

Now she’s offering to take him for the rest of the week, “You need a break. You do. And that’s what grandmother’s are for, right?”

So at this point (Wednesday morning) … I’m still all for it.

I do need a bit of a break. Benjamin has been in full blown terrible two mode for weeks now, and it’s been tough – really tough. I’ve reached my breaking point way too many times. If she can really make it until Friday, it could be good for both of us.

But I’m not sure if I can make it until Friday. Major Benjamin withdrawal could set in. But I feel like I have to allow myself a guilt-free week of fun dinners out with friends, shopping and sleeping – lots of sleeping.

UPDATE – It’s now Wednesday night, about to leave work and I’m still sitting in my office. I miss him. Half tempted to jump in the car and go get my little guy. Sigh. Not sure if I can do this. But mom called and he’s still having a blast.

kevin April 30, 2008 at 11:07 am

What a great web site. I noticed yours on Best of Blogs (Somebody nominated me for Best new Blog and Best Daddy Blog _ I’m a single dad.)
You got good stuff here. I’ll stop by from time to time.

Tracy April 30, 2008 at 11:09 am

Do IT!!!!! Make it last! You will be refreshed and re-energized when you get him back and that makes for a healthy relationship. Whenever I go to a babyshower for a friend, I always bring a little something for the mom-to-be…why? Because mommy needs to look after mommy so she can look after her little one. We all deserve a little ‘me’ time….stick it out…you be glad you did!

The Queen Chimes In April 30, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Hey, you are tagged to do a 6 things meme. See my blog for details.

Optimistic Mama April 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I say enjoy it, as long as it lasts, but let him decide when he’s ready to come home. Shoot for Friday, but be overwhelmed with love when he’s just got to have his Mama back on Thursday!

sparklingmama April 30, 2008 at 1:18 pm

You should do it. It will be tough, but you deserve a chance to recharge!

Coco February 4, 2015 at 4:28 am

The following time I read a blog, I hope that it doenst disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my choice to read, but I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you could fix in the event you werent too busy in search of attention.

liz April 30, 2008 at 1:24 pm

ENJOY it!!! The first time my boys were away for that long, I spent the first day and a half being sad they were gone, and then got my butt in gear and did all the things I can’t do with them home (sleep, sleep, shop, go out with friends, sleep some more).

You deserve a break — Have fun!!

Leslie April 30, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Ooh I hope you’re still enjoying!! Last year mine was gone for a whole week on a trip – I was bored out of my mind and cried lol… I guess it was too overwhelming to have so many days in a row free, I just didn’t know how to handle it. Will not be having that problem the next time!

dadshouse April 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Enjoy it! Absence makes the heart grow fonder. A break is always good. When my daughter was 2, her mom and I went to Europe for 11 days. After 7 I was dying to get back, but the time away was good.

Go date, relate, sleep, hang out with friends. If you need tips on dating four people at once, check my blog today (lol).

mommypie April 30, 2008 at 2:12 pm

You know it’ll be good for you — by the time he comes home, you’ll have missed him so much … he’ll have missed you so much … you’ll BOTH be revitalized!

I don’t know about Benjamin, but I firmly believe that my daughter needs time away from me too. Who WOULDN’T?? Sheesh — even I get sick of myself from time to time.

So don’t feel guilty — it’s good all the way around.

Singleparentingdad April 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I get the same withdrawals not seeing my son for more than a day but I say go for it and enjoy!

I would just suggest that it not be a complete week since kids at that age probably shouldn’t be separated from their primary caregiver for more than a couple of days.

mssinglemama April 30, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Hi SPD … he’s at his grandmother’s – he spent the first year of his life there, so she’s like his second mom. He actually calls her “mom.” But yes, if he starts asking for me – I’m there.

And already (now Wed. night) I’m feeling major pangs. Not sure if I can make it.

But I will try…I will. I have so much to do – namely, cleaning my disgusting apartment which is now off the hook messy because I’ve been spending my nights out with friends.

jennie April 30, 2008 at 8:26 pm

have to disagree w spd… a week with his grandmother is not going to give b an abandonment complex.

msm, i have found that time away from my son allows me to be a much better parent. as a single mama, we have to be ON 24/7, and that can be damn hard! and while it is tempting to tackle your to-do list, my advice to you would be to focus more on relaxing and enjoying yourself than on things like cleaning (unless that sort of thing is zen for you;)). you’ve earned a little r&r!

but i totally get how hard it is to not have b there. whenever my son is gone, i walk around in a daze, feeling like i left him at the grocery store or something!

Will Entrekin April 30, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Not that I have children (nor probably ever will), but were I to, I’d think that such (tiny) periods of separation would be good for the soul on both sides. Enjoy your “guilt-free week of fun dinners out with friends, shopping and sleeping – lots of sleeping”–sounds like just what the doctor ordered, and come the weekend, things can pick up as though they never left off.

I say let your hair down (it’s fantastic) and embrace your pillow, if only to rejuvenate your fabulous self and be better than ever.

Courtney May 1, 2008 at 12:16 am

Don’t be afraid to ask for help- if your mom is there and offers to take Benjamin so you can have a break- take her up on it. It will do each of you some good; for you- a much needed break, for your mom- QT with her grandson, and for Ben- gaining independence from you. If you feel like a week is too long, even a day will be welcomed. Beware though if you think 2 is a challenge, wait until he turns 3. Just wait…..

mssinglemama May 1, 2008 at 12:31 am

Courtney! Really? It’s that much worse. I know … I can imagine. My worst fear actually – teenagedom.

extraordinarymommy May 1, 2008 at 12:54 am

The time away will be heavenly….and if you want to have him come home a little early, you can do that too. It is so wonderful to ‘recharge’. I always feel like a better mom when I get a little time to refocus and remember who I am (just me). Then I can, once again, be Mommy.

Hope you take her up on it!