Kill your TV!

by mssinglemama on April 21, 2008

According to Nielsen, the average American watches 4 hours and 35 minutes of TV a day! When I read that stat I nearly fell out of my chair. I knew it was high, but nearly 5 hours a day! What?

I killed my TV two years ago when I left my husband. Most of his waking moments, outside of work, were spent plopped in front of the tube. Our bonding time, in turn, revolved around our favorite TV shows. And when we separated he took the TV with him.

I never replaced it.

It wasn’t by choice. I was broke, so broke that buying a TV was completely out of the question. Now, I could buy one – but I won’t. Then I’d have to pay for cable. And if I had one, I know I would watch it. I’d get re-addicted to Project Runway, Desperate Housewives, anything on TLC, re-runs of Northern Exposure, Deal or No Deal…you get the idea. I loved it all. Now I can’t even remember what it’s like to watch TV every night. I don’t even know how I’d find the time.

When I have friends over they tell me it’s refreshing to sit down in a living room without the TV blaring in the backround. And then we talk. The old-fashioned way.

If I go over to someone’s house and the TV is on I just sit there stareing…TV, TV, wow, TV. Then I ask them to turn it off so I can focus on what we’re talking about.

Digression: You know what? I just realized why I might be single. I’m weird. Really weird. I hate TV. I truly do. I’m not sure if I would ever want one in my house again. Uh-oh. That leaves like 1% of the population for me to choose from. I just need to find someone else who’s addicted to their iMac. We could have two little iMacs in our living room. Cute? Or weird?

Okay, back to the no TV thing…every mom out there knows there comes a moment in any day where a quick TV show prevents you from either – throwing yourself out of a window or locking the kids in the closet.

You all know how much Benjamin and I LOVE Handy Manny, Thomas, Mickey and Elmo. We watch all of these fine programs on my 20″ iMac courtesy of iTunes for $1.99 a piece. And, unlike a TV channel, when they’re over – they’re over – and Benjamin moves on to another activity.

Plus I save $70/month in my non-existent cable bill. There are other options too, like audio books from Giddio.com. I was skeptical. But when I popped one in Benjamin was mesmerized by the story. But instead of staring at the computer screen like a zombie he played with his train set while he listened.

This week (April 21-27) happens to be National TV Turnoff Week. And Mom UnPlugged has posed a challenge to all of her readers…to turn off their TVs for a week! Think you could do it?

If you killed your TV, what do you think you’d do with all of your spare time?

What if your kids never saw another commercial again?

What would you do with that extra $840/year? You know what…that would be just about enough to buy a refurbished (used like new) iMac. Just found one for $999.00! Holy crap. And no, I don’t work for Apple. Just love my iMac and I hate TVs.

[Photo Credit: Find this fabulous photo by clicking here]

{ 2 trackbacks }

The Sex and the City Trailer! OMG!!!!! (I’m a dork) « Ms. Single Mama
April 26, 2008 at 12:24 pm
Save (at least) $150 a month now.
November 20, 2008 at 7:39 pm

singleworkingmommy April 21, 2008 at 8:40 pm

I have basic, BASIC cable. Where I get like ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, NBS, then lots of CSPAN, Home Shopping, and PBS.

We never, ever watch it. Only thing Son has ever watched is PBS or his DVDs (Baby Einstein, Elmo, etc.)

So what do I do with my spare time? If I have any of that, I probably spend it playing on the Interweb. And I wonder if that’s really any better?

Lauren April 21, 2008 at 8:51 pm

But the Stanley Cup Playoffs are on! What would I do without hockey?!

Right now, I think having TV is one thing that’s keeping me sane. When Anna is asleep in the middle of the day and I have nothing to do and nowhere to go, I turn to the TV and the Internet.

Honestly, though, I could do just fine without TV. I’ve gone through many long periods without watching much during the school year, so this fall when I’m back at school again I’m sure I won’t have much free time to spend plopped down in front of it.

randomesq April 21, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I admit to having TiVo. I don’t get around to watching much stuff on it but I do like it. I’m hit or miss with television and my watching depends completely on how busy I am. I do turn it on every morning to watch the Today show as I get ready for work. It’s just that Meredith Viera was my first official soccer mom crush.

If I didn’t have my TV…hm….probably read more. Maybe get through my stack of Wired magazines. I sometimes boycott the television for a book. I already hit the gym regularly so that wouldn’t change. Hmm…I think I like having a TV because I live alone, too. I love quiet time and much of the time, my TV is off but sometimes I dig the movement so I put it on mute but still have the picture on. Weird, I know.

And this is why your blog is interesting – because you write things like you just realized that you’re weird. I can actually see the wheels turning to this conclusion as you write. It’s charming. Bravo, MSM!

Robert Taylor April 22, 2008 at 9:56 am

It’s a well known fact that Nielsen inflates their numbers to convince the advertising industry that it’s still a smart idea to advertise on cable tv. People don’t watch that much anymore.

Hanna April 22, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I don’t have TV because my budget let me have a choice between DSL or cable. Guess which one I chose? I also have netflix, which for $7.50 a month I can watch my favorite shows on DVD..woo hoo!

Commercials can suck a big one.

mommypie April 22, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Okay, y’all are WAAAY better people than me. I don’t know how you do it.

ladyravenna April 25, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Hello –

I’d like to let you know that you have an interesting blog, so I enjoy reading your blog. Of course I am also a single mother to a three years old boy.

I absolutely understand your frustration when your ex-husband spent lot of time watching TV. I was in the same shoe when my ex-husband spent numerous of hours by sitting in front of his computer. I personally think that TVs and computers are destructive to marriages and families. I think people need to learn to limit their time watching TVs and computers.

hooRAH April 29, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Hey! Yes..kudos to NO tv! lol..I went on a volunteer program where we lived in a house with no tv for 9 months…it was refreshing. I can TOTALLY live without tv … I currently stay at my aunt’s and uncle’s.. and I need to get out of there before my daughter is…3 hopefully….because seriously…their kids are just addicted to tv….the tv is ALWAYS on…….it’s really sad actually. I understand they are busy…but the tv is not a suitable babysitter despite all the kiddie shows. Children (and adults) need real interaction. When I’m out on my own, I won’t have a tv. At least not one with cable. Besides, I can watch my favourite shows on the net 😛 (America’s Next Top Model & Hell’s Kitchen)

hooRAH April 29, 2008 at 11:31 pm

haha ok. so my weblink, i don’t know how to put it in there, but it’s Alex from I <3 Single parents 🙂

Luara February 3, 2015 at 3:26 am

I agree with you. Forget about Geneva. We have to reconcile with Sinhalese and Muslims berfoe power-sharing in Sri Lanka. I accept we have conflict among us but Indian made it worse in 1987 and now American making the situation lot more muddy.I will place my view soon. we are idiots chasing the mirage in intellectual Sahara desert.kind regards