Do you keep up with your ex on MySpace or Facebook?

by mssinglemama on April 14, 2008

Crazy how MySpace and Facebook have changed the way we date. In just a few seconds you can scope out your ex’s relationship status, flirtatous comments and daily activities. Twitter makes it even worse. Maybe I should go on a delete binge tonight.

How often do you delete your the Ex-Profiles on MySpace and Facebook? Can you do it? Do you think I can?

Deleting an ex is like permanently severing all ties…but then I think of the ex’s who were my friends – the ones I genuinely want to stay in touch with. And then I think of the sting when I see their “latest activity.”

I vote for delete.

chatanika April 14, 2008 at 11:27 am

I also vote delete! It’s tough, but so much healthier!

I’m loving your blog. I just started my own about my crazy custody drama…. Meander over if you have a chance!

Lauren April 14, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Facebook will be the death of me! (I just wrote about how I saw that Anna’s father has been doing things on Facebook over the past week yet hasn’t said a word to me).

I’ve actually deleted almost all my ex’s/random flings (I still have one ex as a friend just because we really are friends, and then Anna’s father… but that’s it). Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be able to see what those old flings are doing, but I know it would just drive me crazy!

ana.biosis April 14, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Myspace… is my horrible addiction.

I keep up with Dingo and the EX there….

It’s not good…it’s not healthy…but in my head…I think it will “prove” something if I find it….

Leslie April 14, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Thank God the ex isn’t on any of those or I’d not be able to *not* look. I do snoop an ex on myspace, I wish he’d keep his page private so I couldn’t haha it’s just morbid curiosity now but I still feel like a stalker.

Matt April 14, 2008 at 12:40 pm

You have to delete. Otherwise, it’s like an alcoholic hanging out in a liquor store! 🙂 Great post.

sparklingmama April 14, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I avoid my ex online like the plague. Although, I am a bit curious I find it’s better to cut all ties.

jon b April 14, 2008 at 8:23 pm

myspace is my worst enemy right now. women i went on a few dates on or dated for a bit leave comments from time to time saying hey or what have you. thos drives my girl crazy. i do have a number of female friends who are just friends, however she thinks it is odd to have so many. she was cheated on by several men including THE EX, so i try to be sensitive to that.

but i must say i am guilty of “stalking” those i have dated to see the new flame or to gain satisfaction from their failed relationships. muahahahha.

Do you find yourself talking trash and saying names while browsing their profiles?

writebrite April 15, 2008 at 8:08 am

I just recently deleted the soon-to-be-ex, and the ex was never a “friend” on Myspace……Myspace has this nasty little option where you can save profiles privately as a “favorite,” you know, so you don’t have to keep searching for them, nor do you have to actually list them as a friend. Both of the ex-men are on there and they will never know.

ps…did I mention I know the soon-to-be-ex’s log on info and I check his inbox/outbox CONSTANTLY??!! *Slap me now!* 🙂

curiouso January 22, 2010 at 2:15 am

And, so, does he deceptively have it set so that only you cannot see certain photos, friends and posts? My gf would never friend me until the day we broke up to “prove” she wasnt hiding anything……yet she spent sooooooooooo much time on it and typing on it that I wondered How could this be so few posts after so much typing and laughing? This image my gf presented as being so benign and honest…..not so much. It turns out that she LOVED having guys flirt with her. Not that I saw much. But when I went through her posts as far back as possible I saw a flirty exchange with a male friend she met on a trip. All of a sudden the banter stopped. When I went to his site he had photos of her from the trip with them both being googly eyed. I didnt care…it was before me. Then another photo when she was visiting his city cross country. after she first met me. Maybe it was innocuous but it was in his apartment and it was just a single photo. But the fact that it stopped sudenly tells me she had started blocking or deleting posts and had just forgotten two. She was a real narcissist that will end up with STDs, divorced and resentful . She even asked me several times if I thought she had a big ego….as if to confirm her inkling! If only she had been faithful she could have had a good life with a guy who wanted more than a one night stand. Next!

Shannon April 15, 2008 at 9:38 am

For me it’s the opposite. I unfortunately found my husbands ex-the one that was dating him in between the two times that I did. Yeah she was the rebound. Ha ha to her. But I can’t help but look and see her antics and see exactly WHY it is he’s with me. It feels good to see her be so juvenile.
Oh, I used to have my ex-husbands password for his email and it was so fun, until I was a total moron and slipped that I knew it… and he changed it. That was really fun.

mssinglemama April 15, 2008 at 9:40 pm

These stories are all fantastic! Thanks for sharing and I’m glad I’m not alone. But I lose interest. After a few weeks I just stop checking…but for some reason I don’t delete them. Because every few months, I want to see what they’re up to…hmmm…

This virtual world is nuts.

kevin May 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Yeah, I try not to write about my personal goings on because I know my son’s mother will be all over my a*s*s. And its not like I’m doing anything anyway. But I’ve got a widget on my web site that lets me track who was there (city, time of visit, pages visited, exit pages, etc.) and i know my son’s mother has visted pages of females who are listed on my blogroll.

misc March 21, 2009 at 1:20 am

when do you change your status to single from in a relationship after you breakup? I was kinda shocked when my ex as of 2 days ago already changed it !dang put yourself back on the market don't wait another second.

Laura June 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Facebook drives me crazy. I found my son's father, who took off before he was even born, on there. What makes it worse is I know he is living really close by. We aren't friends and I can't see his page but it still bothers me that it's even there. My son is now 13 and soon will be wanting to know about this man… and I have nothing to say.

Natasha February 5, 2015 at 9:16 am

Appreciating the hard work you put into your website and dtiaeled information you present. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Angel Blue Eyes July 13, 2009 at 1:02 am

very nice post.. i really like it thanks!!!

Natural Menopause July 13, 2009 at 1:03 am

Kris August 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Ive never really checked any of my ex’s myspaces/facebooks often. I can remember one ex who i remained friends with who I checked from time to time but I eventually deleted them and lost touch. But my recent ex whom I was with for almost a year, our relationship and friend both ended tragicaly and horribly. She so called hates me, but doesnt delete me off of her myspace or aim or anything. I check her myspace constantly, and she checks mine constantly. Its kind of weird…like, why not just talk? Whatever

Emperor November 8, 2009 at 2:02 am

I’m undecided about this. I try not to lose touch with my friends, no matter what our circumstance is. But for the Ex-Factor, I’d say your best to delete them. If it’s over, its over. Sending an email is the equivalent of dialing drunk to me. It’s pathetic, lame, and will only show you how little respect that this person had for you in the first place.

And this is coming from a point where I got in contact with an Ex around ten months after she dumped me. I was doing fine for at least three months, but when I reconnected, it brings back alot of emotional stuff. So it’s best anyhow. Plus, in the end, if one person dumped another, then someone doesnt deserve to remain a friend.