Jamie Lynn Spears caves and gets engaged.

by mssinglemama on March 31, 2008

jamie-lynnpregnant.jpgIt appears that Jamie Lynn Spears couldn’t handle the idea of being a single mom and is now engaged to the baby’s father. Or is it just a rumor?

Who knows…but she was spotted wearing this t-shirt saying “the rumors are true” and a diamond ring.

Sigh. Too bad for her. I know it’s none of my business but the odds that marriage will last are not in her favor. Being a single mom would have been the better route. Why do people get married just because they’re pregnant?

I just don’t get it. And she’s only, what? 16!!! Can you even get married when you’re that young? Jamie Lynn…if you’re reading this DO NOT get married. It’s really not that bad being a single mother.

Read more on this story at Celebrity Single Moms.

1. Married people are weird (for the most part).
  2. Celebrity Single Mom of the Month? Moi?
  3. Momma Cum Laude’s daughter is here!!!
  4. To my readers:

dadshouse March 31, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Gotta weigh in on this one – I have a daughter who is around Jamie Lynn’s age, and if she got pregnant I imagine I’d be spending a lot more time with the baby than my parents spend with their grandkids. This one kind of hits home.

Would Jamie Lynn be better off solo? Um… no? I think single moms are great, courageous, capable, fabulous, etc. But saying a baby is better off without the dad around? I beg to differ.

Teen pregnancy is a real problem in this country. I doubt Jamie Lynn’s marriage will last. But give the dad props for staying involved.

mssinglemama March 31, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Okay. Props to Dad. Good point! And I really do hope they live happily, ever after. But marriage is tough on the youngins!

whatmenthink March 31, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I give props to neither.

Strike 1 – having sex way too young
Strike 2 – not using contraceptives, when they are affordable and available.
Strike 3 – forcing marriage by circustance, not because they are ready

Mrs. Spears. You’ve raised two fine daughters! I give you 4 out of 4 Zoloft for parenting!

Hanna March 31, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Not only getting married at 16, but wasn’t the dad over 18 when they had sex? Isn’t that considered Statutory Rape? Don’t you love how the law looks the other way when a squeaky clean celebrity is involved?

If it were Linsday Lohan or Paris Hilton..LOCK THEIR ASSES UP!

I really don’t mean to defend either of those two. Watching Paris Hilton crying in the backseat of a Police Cruiser was definitely the highlight of my year.

Yeah, I’m going to hell.

Andrea March 31, 2008 at 11:06 pm

okay i absolutely have to weigh in because hii, you’re pretty much reading my life story as you’re reading hers.

i was seventeen when my son was born. was i too young to be having sex? absolutely. was i the only one in my school? absolutely NOT. it happens. kids do it. i’d like to know how many people who will wag their fingers at this actually waited until they were grown married adults to have sex.

i really dont know why everyone automatically assumes contraceptives were not used. it was assumed about me. have you ever compared different types of contraceptives and their effectiveness? none are one hundred percent. condoms, which is what most teenagers use, are only 75% effective. guess what. they break. guess what. mine did. and you cant always know. and i got pregnant. who’s to say jamie lynn’s condom didnt break? or maybe she missed a few pills and no one warned her what to do in case that happened. my point is: WHO IS TO JUDGE?

i married my son’s father. two weeks after i graduated high school. obviously it didnt work out, because obviously i am a single mom or i probably wouldnt be reading this blog. it didnt end because we were too young. it ended because my husband was going through some very personal stuff, really tough stuff, and unfortunately did not welcome my help. i dont regret marrying him. i completely understand the argument that you shouldnt get married just because there is a baby on the way, but i also understand wanting to do the right thing. you want the ring on your finger, your baby to have a mom and a dad who are married, which is what you had when you were growing up. at least thats how i felt, and maybe how jamie lynn feels.

i think that jamie lynn has found herself in a tough situation, a situation that many girls find themselves in but not many girls have the entire country throwing their opinions around. she could have gotten an abortion and no one would have ever known, she could have saved herself a lot of embarrassment. would that have been better? more than likely their marriage will not last, and what’s sad is when that happens, everyone will be sitting around saying i told you so. yet, jamie lynn will be suffering. she will be going through a divorce, trying to raise her child, and still everyone will be judging. i feel for the girl, i really do.

mssinglemama April 1, 2008 at 1:48 am

I hear you Andrea. Thanks so much for sharing your story and good point about the contraceptives. Not all are 100%…obviously. : )

She is in a tough situation…I just know from personally rushing into my own marriage that it can sometimes be more painful in the long run than not getting married at all. I do regret marrying my ex. Definitely. But I don’t regret having Benjamin. But I couldn’t have had one without the other.

I think the point here is that she’s 16 and that she feels pressure to have that ring on her finger. And where is that pressure coming from? Society…her parents…her fiance? Or maybe she wanted to marry him all along. We don’t know. I would like to see a young role model tell society to go F themselves and do what her heart tells her, not what her publicist or her parents tell her is the right thing to do. These are all assumptions…but it’s interesting to think about.

I don’t mean to judge. Just wanted to start a fiesty conversation and it looks like we have one. Good food for thought.

dadshouse April 1, 2008 at 2:01 am

Andrea – that was very heartfelt, thanks for sharing.
MSM – none of us know where the pressure for her to get married is coming from. But (just to be feisty) if she’s anything like her older sister, the dad wiil end up raising the kid. Thank you, K-Fed, for being a stand-up guy!

mssinglemama April 1, 2008 at 2:06 am

Good point Dad’s House! I know … K-Fed, you get props man. Seriously…cool guy.

Honestly, I really don’t follow the Spears drama. I don’t even read People – ever. But, this story just struck me because of her age. I know that being famous has its pressures.

I just can’t imagine what she must be going through.

And WMT – thanks for chiming in!

Hanna – you’re funny. Too true.

Lauren April 1, 2008 at 5:08 pm

While I was pregnant, I definitely had moments where I felt like I should get married to the father. I felt like marriage would make it more of a guarantee that the father would be involved (although it doesn’t necessarily work out that way!). The two of us do get along great anyway, so the marriage wouldn’t be horrible… but neither of us want to get married solely because we had a child together.

Part of me wants that “complete” family, so I can understand why Jamie Lynn would want to get married. But there’s no reason why parents can’t work together to raise a child in an unmarried relationship.

Andrea April 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Haha, i’m sorry i didnt really mean to spill all, but like i said all the criticizing of her hits close to home for me.

msm to be honest i’m with you. god i wish i hadnt married him and gone through what i went through (i put the reason for the end of our marriage as delicately as possible) but at the same time, i wouldnt have my second son, and words cant describe how much he adds to my life. so i guess i could have saved myself a lot of pain, but i’d always be missing out on way more happiness.

after i submitted that i was afraid you would think okay from no comments to crazy comments!

Z April 16, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Why it is “great” to be a single mom:

1. I get to parent the way I want to parent

(Except for when the kids are visiting their father, then you have absolutely NO say or control on how they are being parented, and the kids get to jump house to house, “visiting” their parents. As oppose to stay married to your baby’s daddy, where you will have much more control over what they are exposed to and how they are raised.)

2.I get to focus 100% of my attention on my son

(Really? If I wasn’t married I would be working full-time so for five days a week my kids would be raised, again by someone other than me, and then when I want me time instead of quality time with their dad they are getting farmed out. I would say as a single mom the kids get way less time with parents because there is one person to maintain and run the whole household instead of two people.)

3. And the best part, I’m completely free and there’s always the chance that some day I will meet my Prince Charming.

(Free?! Except for you have kids. And Prince Charming -when are you going to have time to do that with out sacrificing time for you kids and as you are working on finding Prince Charming what about all the duds you expose your children too? That’s really not focusing 100% of your attention to your children now is it?)

mssinglemama April 16, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Z – we can’t help the fact that we are single mothers. We are all trying to look on the bright side…and be positive, happy parents who give our kids the best life possible.

A few points if I may to counter yours:

If I were still married to my ex I would still be working 40 hours a week b/c he couldn’t hold a job.

My son is one of the best day cares in the city thanks to me busting my ass.

I don’t see kids as a prison. I do feel free even though I have a son. He is my freedom.

QTMama April 16, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Damn. Can you say BITTER?

“Maybe women should be more selective in who they have sex with? If he wouldn’t make a good husband or father, why risk procreation with the guy?”

Z – cuz my vibrator doesn’t kiss or hug me.

Z April 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Vibrators don’t make babies, neither do kisses or hugs – and great so he makes you feel good for now -but can’t hold a job? What a treat. So, he makes you feel good in the moment and now there is a kid out there that either: doesn’t have a father figure or has to visit his father while he is raising other kids, or gets to see his dad sometimes. Here is a thought – find a guy that is a real man, treats you well, and then sleep with him? A good guy will give you kisses, hugs, RESPECT and affection in the meantime, while you are figuring out if he is worth giving yourself too. I am glad you single peope do the best you can, but I sick of seeing it celebrated. Your kid can be in the best daycare in the city but no one can take care of your kid better than you, and my husband and I bust our asses so that I can be home with my son. I am the one he is smiling, laughing and cooing at all day.
My kids are not my prision either, but I can’t imagine spending a millasecond out of my time without them to find someone to get my jollies off on. It is much nicer to get off on the man that has just work double shifts and came home to happy wife and kids, had a great dinner, played with the kids and settles to bed with his wife. Just think about that before the next guy you get with because a vibrator isn’t good enough. I think if we at least raise the next generation to choose wisely, instead of celebrating divorce, single parent homes, and broken families we may have a chance to break the cylce and the kids will be better off for it.

QTMama April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Z I have a question. You say “I’m sick of seeing it celebrated”, meaning our single mamahood. If you’re happy in your wonderful marriage with your wonderful children, they why on earth begrudge the single moms the same thing? We are HAPPY without a man. That does not mean my daughter doesn’t have a father. It means that mommy, HER MOMMY, is one helluva lot BETTER of a mom because I am not in a loveless, sexless marriage anymore. If you have a beef with that fine. But don’t you DARE tell me that my child is worse off because of it. I’ll be damned if she’s going to see me sit in a marriage that sucked. She should know what real love is, and I did not have that with her father. That being said, he is a very good friend, to this day. And we have a wonderful, well-adjusted little girl. I resent your comments entirely. I did celebrate my divorce. I do have a broken family.

And I am DAMN PROUD OF IT.

mssinglemama April 16, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Follow more on this comment thread here…made an entire post out of it because that’s just how this single mama rolls. : )

Mr. Anonymous® April 17, 2008 at 3:44 am

Uhhh… WHO the hell is what’s-her-name, and WHY do I give a shit?

Hanna April 17, 2008 at 2:07 pm

So because I am a single mom I am not allowed to be happy? Because I am a single mom, I must forever wear black and mourn my failed relationship? OH WOE IS ME? Get me to a nunnery? HELL NO! I refuse! My ability to positively overcome a situation where I would have been a miserable excuse for a mother, only makes my daughter a stronger person herself.
My daughter watches me succeed in life everyday, make educated choices, solve tough problems, balance opposites and organize every aspect of my life. She learns that she can accomplish anything on her own. How is that damaging her? I consider myself an awesome role model, and I can’t wait to see what she and I will accomplish in the future.

Shannon April 17, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Z is just about the most laughably, judgmental, intolerant, ignorant commenter I have ever run across. Her Internet privileges should be revoked. I will not reply to that one right now, because I know way too many screwed up kids from so called “happy” families like hers. I just about feel bad for her. She’s in one of those lives we avoid like the plague. Remember settling? No thanks.

ladyfox April 18, 2008 at 6:35 pm

If Z cannot be away from her kids a millasecond, then what is she doing on the internet? Anyways we do not control the actions of other people you might think you know someone and then they turn out to be someone completely different. Apparently Z is perfect and has a perfect life and has a complete perfect family and hec she knows the “right” definition of family. Well never say never because I never thought I would be a single mother, but like -Hannah mentioned should I be a depressed and bitter? I am sure you think that single women should be banned from adopting too since they would not make a fit parent.

mscheevious April 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm

I think Z was just trying to create a frenzy. No sane, thinking person really thinks that way. Then again, maybe Z is not a sane, thinking person. Anyhoo, I don’t care what Z thinks. I’m happy to be single, glad to be in CHARGE, and believe me, I NEVER thought I’d say that when I was married. I use to say it was so much better than being single. Guess what? I was WRONG. I was LIMITED in my ability to see beyond my nose. I am SO glad I’ve come around! WHEW… It’s a better world now for it.

Taylor May 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm

i dont cdare that she is pregant she is still a good person hello girls at the age o 15 have had baby i should know o have a cuzin who has one and she is 15 she got pregant at the age of 14 so getover the fact tbhat she is yonug

Be Creative June 5, 2009 at 4:52 am

very nice post.. i been search info about this topic… thanks!!!

Top Affiliate Programs November 3, 2009 at 10:40 am

Britney sis Jamie Lynn rolled out this shirt to confirm she’s getting married. The second leg of the white trash trifecta is complete. Final move? Bare feet.