Single Mama Beauty Tip #1: Tan Towels

by mssinglemama on March 28, 2008

tantowelplus.jpgOne of the sexiest things about single moms (for the guys) and one of the most trying (for us) is the fact that we are on top of it … beauty wise. Well, I am anyways. But it’s not easy. I barely have time to shop. And there’s nothing worse than dragging a screaming toddler through the beauty section only to bring the product home and find out it sucks. Talk about guilt.

So with spring just around the corner I think we should all start sharing some time-saving, money-saving beauty tips. Here’s mine…

Say hello to the single mom savior … my little friends the Tan Towels!

Back in the day, when I had tons of money to blow on self-beautification, I tried every fake tanning product out there (I don’t do sun, sun = bad for single mama skin). Anyway I wasted way too much money on horrible tanning products until my friend who worked in a beauty shop told me about the Tan Towel.

They’re like paper towels or I guess more like baby wipes, soaked in tanning stuff. First exfoliate with a loofah or body wash with beads in it. Then open up the magic tan towel.

Start with your tummy and back because the tan towels are super moist at first. Then run them down your thighs and legs. Don’t forget the ankles and the tops of your feet. Then if the towel is still a little moist use it on your upper body, face and neck.

There’s very, very little streaking even possible because you are running the towel over yourself with your hands and because it’s not a lotion your fingers don’t leave behind streaks. Make sense?

The best part. They actually smell kind of nice and you can get dressed five minutes later. So very little hassle. The tan lasts for about 7-10 days.

Where to find it: Discount Beauty Center This is the best price I’ve found – 10 for $16.79. They usually run around $5.00/towel retail. Not a bad deal and a small price to pay for a perfect, harmless tan.

Do you have any money-saving beauty tips? Pass them on please…

1. Two new single mama bloggers you have to meet.
  2. Boyfriend + toddler + work = tired single mama
  3. One side effect of being a dating single mama…my baby is trying to make out with me.
  4. Best Single Mama Movies
  5. Obama’s Single Mama

{ 2 trackbacks }

Single Mama Beauty Tip #2: Lush Stuff « Ms. Single Mama
May 24, 2008 at 1:22 pm
Single Mama Beauty Tip #3: Facial in a box « Ms. Single Mama
July 3, 2008 at 3:03 pm

QTMama March 28, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Ok so what kind of skin tone do they work on? I’m almost albino pale, ALMOST! ;) Would I look orange? I’ve tried so many but that smell? Ugh. I can’t stand sniffing that all day.

missmegs March 28, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Do these have the typical “fake tan” smell to them? That’s the one thing I can’t stand about most tan in a can methods. Even a few days after there is this… smell to your skin. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. I’m definitely going to give these a shot either way, thanks!

mssinglemama March 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm

They say “odor-free” on the package but there’s a very, very faint odor. But it actually smells kind of nice. Compared to your typical fake tanning products the smell is nothing. Like a sliver of what the typical one smells like.

As soon as I take a shower (in the morning) after applying it at night b/f I go to bed…you can’t smell it anymore.

Okay – you know the Jergens skin tan lotion stuff – REEKS. Just to give you a guage on what my definition of reeks is.These are THE best

QT- I am also super, super pale…these don’t make me orange at all. It is the closest thing I’ve found to my natural tan.

You know what? Try one on your tummy, chest, back and butt to see before putting them on your legs and arms or face. And then the next day you could do the rest of your body.

QTMama March 28, 2008 at 2:27 pm

My favorite beauty tip, not sure if it’s money saving but it rocks nonetheless, is the Urban Decay Primer Potion for lids. http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/EyeshadowPrimerPotion.cfm

It makes for non-creasing eyeshadow alllllllllll day. I was a creaser, but not anymore! It’s great stuff!

missmegs March 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Yeah the Jergens reeks, and it also sweats off realllllly bad. I used it a few days at one point until I had to stop using it because of that reason. I was wearing a light pink tank top at the gym. I looked down at my stomach after a cardio session and it was light brown sweat. Gross.

mommypie March 28, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Oooh – I have to try these! I am MAYONNAISE.

Dawn March 29, 2008 at 3:45 am

Hmmm cool..Maybe I will have to check these out when I got some extra money to spend…But crazy question…How does one put these on their back without someoen around to put it on?? LOL I know..I have to be the difficult one. I have no tips..but I look forward to read others!

mssinglemama March 29, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Dawn…I can actually reach my entire back with my hands (possibly because I have really huge man hands). So…lots of stretching…but this stuff blends nicely so you’re not going to have really obvious lines.

Mr. Anonymous® April 17, 2008 at 3:48 am

EEEeekkkkk… I feel like my SISTER has left the bathroom door ajar and I’m forced to peek in, gleaning VALUABLE? INSIDE INFO as i squish by the hallway… you PAINT YOUR ASS!!???? WTF? – shouldn’t this be in your SECRET WEAPONS area 52 or something… yuck !

mssinglemama May 24, 2008 at 8:47 am

Mr. Anonymous – yes, I guess I paint my ass. Now, you’ve ruined it for me! So funny.