Adventures in Potty Training

by mssinglemama on March 26, 2008

How in the hell is cleaning out a little tiny plastic toilet easier than changing a diaper? Please, please experienced mommies enlighten me. How do you get the little toilet bowl clean? Do I have to scoop it out with a paper towel? Sigh.

And Benjamin just took his first pee pee in the potty!!! Standing up, of course because he’s 100% boy.

*UPDATE* I FOUND A BABY URINAL!!! No, I’m not shitting you.

Apparently I am the owner of an old-school potty chair. Tonight after Benjamin’s first little go my best friend’s daughter was over and promptly told me that Benjamin’s potty wasn’t nearly as cool as hers. “His doesn’t flush or anything?” she said. Oh yeah. I hadn’t installed the flushy noise thing yet. (Man job = postponed until last possible minute).

So, she uses it anyway. And then … I get a good healthy run at dumping the little bowl in my toilet. No way. No way. Wasn’t cool. And I love that little girl like she’s my own. I can’t imagine two more years of dumping out this little cup.

I call my mom, or Yoda. She raised six. (I’m in the middle).

“Are you kidding? What kid wants to go on a fake potty? Why should he? He knows its not real. Forget it, just get a stool.”

No plastic potty? Really? Mom is nuts. I’m going to keep the plastic potty around. In the meantime though I’ve been shopping for a cooler one … look what I found!!!

A toddler urinal. Yes, a toddler urinal.

toddlerurinal.jpg

And an Elmo potty! Yeah right. elmopottychair.jpg

No related posts.

Cara Hurley March 27, 2008 at 12:00 am

Can’t answer your first question.

Hurrah to baby Boy for his efforts in the peeing department.
:-)

Angie March 27, 2008 at 12:33 am

Your training toilet should have come with a lift-out portion you can just dump in the big potty….if yours doesn’t have it, I would get a new one!!!

Great job Benjamin!!

mssinglemama March 27, 2008 at 2:16 am

Thanks Cara – but I also have two cats…feel so bad for your situation there with the stalking cat! That’s crazy stuff.

Angie – just updated my post you inspired me to shop.

Cara Hurley March 27, 2008 at 6:53 am

Thanks. It’s gotten worse in recent hours.

I am tired.

*phew*

So how’s the new training toilet coming along?
:-)

liz March 27, 2008 at 11:52 am

Both my boys (3 1/2 and 2) skipped the little potty. Perhaps because I have very “solid” children (bruisers, 90%+ on both height and weight…most of it in their thighs!), the openings didn’t ever seem big enough to get their legs far enough apart and aim DOWN (instead of just straigh out…). I bought potty seats for every regular toilet in the house and stools for them to use.

Good luck!!!

(I still can’t believe the urinal! Love it!!!)

Andrea March 27, 2008 at 1:18 pm

The answer–as you already know–is that it’s not easier, it’s a whole lot harder and more time consuming, but there’s no way to skip this stage altogether on the way to self-pottying bliss. Now, when I’m sitting on the couch reading, and Frances says “I have to go pee!” and runs off, and then I hear the toilet flush and she runs back, and I’m still sitting on the couch reading a book? The months of using the plastic potty don’t seem so bad.

At the time, I hated it.

And even though my little girl is itty bitty bitty and so there was a long time when even with the potty seats and stools she couldnt’ use a toilet–she still moved to that option as soon as she could. Your mom’s right, kids know the difference and they’d rather use what the grown-ups are using if they can.

mssinglemama March 27, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Cara – kill your cats or get rid of that damn door! So funny!!! So far no other requests for the potty. I do not push it. But he knows where it is … so I gently remind him or encourage using the potty. But no pressure. So it could be another week before he goes again.

Liz – good to know!!! I think I’ll try the potty seat then, I just know he’ll like it better and until then Andrea, we’ll use the gross plastic potty.

Thanks Andrea for that inspiring tale of self-potty trained kids. Can’t wait!!! But then again..I know I will miss my little guy when he turns into a big guy. Darn it. Can’t complain I guess.

ana.biosis March 27, 2008 at 4:44 pm

oh doodles had one that jsut put a tiny toliet seat on the big one…

so he has always gone on mine….worked for me…no cleaning tiny toilets…

missmegs March 27, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Haha I like how the Elmo one has the little peewee guard. I learned about that the hard way while babysitting back in the day.

mommypie March 27, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Okay, THIS I know about.

We went through two or three models until we found the best. The Baby Bjorn potty is FANTASTIC. There are no little cracks and crevices to get disgustingly dirty. And there’s a little pee pee guard for the boys that’s round with no hard edges in case of … er … snags. The seat just lifts out, you turn on the tub, fill the bowl with hot water and throw it all in the big toilet. Not nearly as much gag reflex action as you’d get if you scooped it out. Pretty painless, even for a germiphobe like me!

Okay, that’s my poop talk quota for the day.

mssinglemama March 28, 2008 at 1:28 am

Woah! Good advice Mommy Pie…but what if Benjamin wants to rinse it out himself? I envision a struggle … him grabbing the bowl from my hands and you know what flying everywhere. Ha. I’ll try it though…I saw those baby bjorns, they also have a plastic bjorn potty seat… so maybe that one. Hmmm….decisions, decisions.