A few things to get off my chest…

by mssinglemama on March 21, 2008

tv.jpgBenjamin is teething. He’s been feverish and super fussy for five days straight now. I think I’m going to lose my mind. In these moments I do have secret husband fantasies:

“Hey, honey could you watch our extremely needy child right now so I can just sit down for three minutes?”

“Sure, sweetie…actually why don’t you go get a hair cut and a manicure – it has been four months now.”

I counted his teeth tonight. He has 20 … so not sure if those last four broke through this week because I didn’t count them last week. Sigh. Crossing my fingers he’ll be back to normal by tomorrow.

We don’t have a TV. I lost it in the divorce (of course, he had to have the TV) and didn’t buy a new one. I have an iMac. A 20″ iMac. Everything I want to watch is online. Nice. And a commercial free life is a wonderful life.

But up in Benjamin’s room there’s a mini-tv/dvd player that catches networks. He turned it on tonight and Deal or No Deal was on. The contestant’s family and friends were pounding down piles of chicken wings. I watched in horror as they kept shoving them in their mouths and then Howie eggs them on … “for every pound you gain we’ll give you an extra $1,000!” They climbed onto the scale and had gained 8 pounds in 30 minutes. And this is why I don’t have a TV.

McCain mentioned Iran and Al-Qaeda in the same sentence the other day, accusing Iran of funding Al Qaeda operatives in Iraq. Was it a snafu? I doubt it. They needed someone to say it first. I’m having a severe case of Deja Vu and am really, really scared about Benjamin’s future.

Kris offered to run errands for me the other night. “You know I can do that stuff if you want.”

“No way,” I told him,”It took me way too long to get used to doing everything on my own. I can’t let anyone try to spoil me, because then – what if I have to get used to it all over again?”

[Photo credit: http://the-software-news.blogspot.com]

{ 1 trackback }

A Realization- « The Queen Chimes In
May 27, 2008 at 3:27 pm

mscheevious March 21, 2008 at 7:06 am

I can relate. I have to say that I think a television can be a nice replacement for a husband. Nothing against the real thing – but in a pinch… ? lol

mssinglemama March 21, 2008 at 11:16 am

oh wow! Well…my iMac has a 20″ screen…have you seen my post on the Top 10 Most Beautiful Men in the World? That was fun. : )

liz March 21, 2008 at 11:50 am

You really hit on something for me in your last segment there…

I have been known (my friends joke about it now) to always turn down help when it’s offered. Well, not always but I turn down about 80 percent of the help that’s offered (to watch the kids, to do some shopping for me, etc).

And now I know why I was subconsciously doing it — Because I was afraid that if I said yes I would not learn how to be a single mom, and I might get used to the help. And then what if it disappeared?

Hmmmm. I need to go think about this. And probably blog about it.

mssinglemama March 21, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Yep…me too…deserves an entire post that’s for sure.

It’s true though … we have to do it. Smart move I think. Now, if I were going to marry a guy or something (god forbid) I’m sure I would let some of the guard down and allow the help.

But it was so hard to get used to in the first place.

divorce360 March 21, 2008 at 3:36 pm

i can relate to the first part….my son was very sick for the first 2 years after my x left….(he was only 1 at the time)…..i really didn’t sleep for 2 years…..up at 3 am giving him nebulizers and watching his chest go up and down….so many times i would first curse my ex and then wish he were there to help. there are so many people in the http://www.divorce360.com community that are facing these issues for the first time…or are about to face these issues. if anyone here wants to help out some of our members, please do.

QTMama March 22, 2008 at 2:11 am

MsSingle, have you tried the teething tablets? They are a homeopathic method, but I was so desperate at one point I decided to try them. They were like a lifesaver for me! I bought them at Meijers, they melt immediately when the baby gets them wet. Good luck … I know it’s such a tiring time.

mssinglemama March 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm

QT – no, I haven’t! I think it’s actually over though. Wish I would have known about those a week ago. Thanks!