To snip…or not to snip? Vote now.

by mssinglemama on March 11, 2008

There are two camps. Those who believe I should cut my son’s hair and those who think it’s absolutely adorable. Both are incredibly passionate about it because apparantly a little boy with long hair stirs some emotions.

The two camps:

1. “Cut that boy’s hair now, you evil woman.”

These are usually married parents (don’t know why but this is the trend) who can’t stand to see a boy with hair past his ears. They drop the “when are you going to cut his hair?” line after 20-30 minutes of small talk. The setting – a party or intimate gathering. Some have actually told me, I shouldn’t “do that” to him. Sigh.

2. “His hair is SO adorable, you rock!”

This camp consists of my super chic mama friends who think my son looks hip and of course, absolutely adorable. Other members include absolute strangers who proclaim their love for his hair. They usually give me a nod of approval that rings of some club I didn’t know I was a member of.

It’s funny because members of both camps are extremely passionate about my son’s hair. Personally, it is starting to bother me that he has good hair days and bad hair days. On the bad days, it’s like you see in this hilarious picture…on the good days, it’s curly and perfect. But the idea of cutting his hair freaks me out! I love long haired little boys … what do you think? Let’s have a vote.

SNIP or NO SNIP???? Vote now! Leave a comment! (click read more to see the pics)

benhair.jpg

[Good hair day...and good reading day!]

[Bad hair day...and my friend put him in that bib, and then sent me the picture. HILARIOUS!]

1. What’s a single working mama to do?

Angie March 11, 2008 at 3:19 am

Ah, the question.

It’s like art, everyone will have their own opinion. Personally, I think it’s adorable (doesn’t that make me chic?)

A nugget of insight though — I cut my Daniel’s hair when he wasn’t much older than your little man. It was a devastating experience. Really. It NEVER ever grows back the same. His “big boy” hair will come in and he’ll lose those baby fine curls you’re admiring.

Oh, the curls my little man lost :(

Going to hide and shed a tear now…

erzsi1113 March 11, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Just because you cut it doesn’t mean you have to give him a military-regulation cut. You could trim it up around his eyes and tame it a little (in the hope that he will have only good hair days!).

Leave it long but “shape” it some. (This is the phrase my stylist always uses when I’ve waited too long to get my hair cut. “Wow, you really need some shaping.”)

If you love long hair then do what you want!! He’s YOUR son, after all!!! :-)

~liz @ abrightfuture.wordpress.com

Dana March 11, 2008 at 9:56 pm

I’d leave it. Right now he’s got kind of a rebellious grunge look that is kind of cool. Buy him a copy of Guitar Hero III for the Wii and let him rock.

As soon as he starts looking like Celine Deon’s kid though, cut it as fast as you can. There’s a fine line between ” handsome little rebel” and “my mama really wanted a girl”.

Angie's Taylor Made Memories March 11, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Well I have an 18 month old little boy who hasn’t had his hair cut either. I love it, even though it’s always in his eyes. I’m having the same problem. He’s our last planned baby & my husband has long hair, so I’m having a double struggle with it. My opinion is that he looks still very babish & I don’t want to loose that look. So, I’m still conflicted. So sorry I can’t help you make your decision, since I’m so stuck right there with ya!!

Good luck!!

mssinglemama March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Thanks everyone … so your comments all =

leave it, but give him a trim.

I tried to trim it once before on my own – not so cool, just thinking he wouldn’t be able to sit still for a real hair cut. Maybe I’ll hire a stylist to come over during nap time. : ) Yeah right!

jon b March 11, 2008 at 11:34 pm

How old is he? My girlfriend gets her son’s hair cut at some stylist and he is two years old. of course I haven’t witnessed this so it could be an experience requiring a straight jacket and the hiring of an Elmo actor.

I personally like the rock star look. My hair is curly and my mom had me rock and afro until I was darn near 10 years old when I finally decided looking like Kool and the Gnag wasn;t so cool after all. But till then, let him rock it, lol.

mssinglemama March 12, 2008 at 12:04 am

Love it! An Elmo outfit…hey, that would be a great business idea…costumed hair dressers for kids. And yes, he’s two …

Thanks for your two cents Jon! Love your comment, as usual.

mommypie March 12, 2008 at 5:05 am

I guess I would ask which cut do you feel would suit his personality? (i.e., a mowhawk on a wallflower would be … wrong.)

My daughter’s hair has been long and it’s been bobbed, and no matter what anyone else prefers, including me, (her grandparents keep pushing for it to be looong), the bob is just HER.

randomesq March 12, 2008 at 9:24 pm

I vote for bald.

Now, you know I’m just egging you on. ;) I vote for trim.

Marjorie March 20, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Oh, I love this post. I also vote no to the cut. I think it looks great!

I also never cut my son’s hair, and yeah, I got some “He looks like a hippie” comments, but what’s wrong with that? I caved only when he ended up talking and kept saying it was bothering him, he couldn’t see, it was bugging him at the pool, and all of that…. All the problems that come with talking and a mind of their own, huh?

singleworkingmommy March 25, 2008 at 1:34 am

I vote no cut. Maybe a trim, if you feel he needs it.

My son is 20 months. I’ve been waiting for his hair to get all long and cute and rock star-y, but I’m not sure it ever will. Maybe one day. It’s OK if it doesn’t though.

Also, I’ve never seen Celine Dion’s son, but Cindy Crawford’s son’s hair? Hate it. He’s like 7 with really long locks. He looks like a girl. I want to like it. I want to be cool. But it’s too long and too girly.

I like Kate Hudson’s son’s hair though.

So now that I’ve given you a rundown on celeb’s kids hair…