McCain had an affair??? Oh boy.

by mssinglemama on February 21, 2008

vickiiseman.jpgDid Senator McCain have an affair? The New York Times says there’s a good chance. And it was with a lobbyist. Oops. Here’s an excerpt from the Times article.

“Early in Senator John McCain’s first run for the White House eight years ago, waves of anxiety swept through his small circle of advisers.

A female lobbyist had been turning up with him at fund-raisers, visiting his offices and accompanying him on a client’s corporate jet. Convinced the relationship had become romantic, some of his top advisers intervened to protect the candidate from himself — instructing staff members to block the woman’s access, privately warning her away and repeatedly confronting him, several people involved in the campaign said on the condition of anonymity”

The lucky gal, Vicki Iseman, looks eerily like McCain’s wife. Creepy! Men are so weird. Okay – got that out of the way. Now the meat of the matter. Why am I blogging about this? Because it’s ridiculous. Well, not entirely ridiculous, she’s a lobbyist so there are some ethical issues involved. Here’s what’s ridiculous – that this even matters. Politicians are people too. Maybe if we weren’t so hyper-critical they would be better leaders. Maybe if they could all divorce their wives and be truly happy they would be better leaders.

Look at Hillary and Bill. Makes me sick. They probably haven’t slept together in 20 years. It’s one of the reasons why I can’t respect her – because when the Lewinksy affair went down I naturally assumed she would leave him. Does anyone remember the blue dress? And the cigar? But, nope. She stayed. Yuck. Who does that? Who walks around in the public eye with everyone knowing you aren’t getting any from your husband? She should have left him years ago. But they’re together because they’re political partners – nothing more. And anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, blind or both.

So here’s what we’re telling our daughters and sons:

Stay with cheating husband = good, now you can run for President.

Cheat on wife = very, very, very bad.

Divorce wife so you don’t have to cheat on her = even worse.

Poor McCain. I’m an Obama girl but I also respect McCain. And actually voted for him when he was running against Satan’s Minion. This election year I was looking forward to a fair fight. I hope we all just ignore this story and not turn it into a national rucous.

No related posts.

Thorstein Veblen February 21, 2008 at 3:38 am

You’d have left Bill Clinton?

Nevertheless, it is interesting to consider what might happen if she doesn’t win… I could easily see her blaming him for her defeat, even though he was the reason she was even in this race. I suspect, though, that they’ll stay together even after this, even though there is no longer any political reason to do so…

mssinglemama February 21, 2008 at 3:44 am

Definitely! I have a very low tolerance for cheating men. I think any self-respecting woman should – no matter who the hell he is.

Very interesting…I think they’ll stay together too…until the end. I’m looking forward to their biographies revealing who their real lovers are. Should be interesting and slightly depressing.

RC February 21, 2008 at 5:15 am

The publicized world of cheaters just depresses me. So do advice columnists and other talking heads who orate on how the human population was not meant to be monogamous.

Okay, I get it. Monogamy is hard. So is mountain climbing.

That being said, why don’t more people face love as a challenge that they want to win. “I challenge you to remain faithful and in love with this person.”

Whatever happens in the race, I know I just don’t want to face another four more years of the fake family that is the Clintons. Yuck.

mommypie February 21, 2008 at 6:58 am

Ugh. I’m so sick of hearing about politicians sex lives. Personally, I could give a crap. If someone cheated, they cheated. That’s their issue. I don’t think it necessarily means they’re any less qualified to do their job. It means they’re human. They’re fallible. It’s reality and people need to get over it, and move on to issues that matter. (I don’t question whether my broker cheats on his wife, and frankly, he’s more relevant to my future than the President.) Okay, sorry, it’s late and Crabby Mommy needs to go to bed!

Jenny February 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

Hmmm….a challenge to “remain faithful and in love”… Ok, I can see the challenge to be faithful, especially if that’s what the parties involved have agreed on and expect in the context of their relationship. But how can you challenge someone to remain in love with their partner? Isn’t that a bit like saying “I challenge you to remain your high school weight, have clear skin all your life, and never visibly age”?

Interesting the assumptions we make about other people’s married lives, isn’t it…. I mean, for all we know, the Clintons are probably into polyamory, so even though Bill was raked over the coals for his dalliance(s) in public, the only smack on the head he got from Hillary might have been something like “You idiot, you promised you were going to be discreet (this time)! Great, just great. Now I have to be the one to get our master socialist plan for American domination in motion. Thanks a hell of a lot Bill!”

The point being, that someone is married doesn’t automatically mean they are conventionally so (i.e., exclusive). As singles we tend to make our own rules about relationships. Well, even though there are plenty of married couples who accept the conventional package deal of marriage, I submit there are just as many who make their own rules. It’s all about knowing what your needs are and crafting the situation to have them met.

mssinglemama February 21, 2008 at 12:18 pm

RC – I know what you mean…so fake.

Mommy Pie – yes, as I always say the Prez of the USA better be getting it from somewhere. Ha!

Jenny – I just think it’s sad that they stay together when they’re not in love. I can only challenge them to get real and leave their fake marriages.

Jenny February 21, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Sorry, mssinglemama, but there is precious little public info out there that could sufficiently help anyone besides the Clintons to determine whether Hillary’s marriage to Bill is “fake” and whether or not they are “in love.”

Why so quick to condemn a wife who’s willing to forgive her husband who commits a publicly undesirable act? Even if we assume it’s not his first time, you don’t know what agreements they’ve worked out and for what reasons those agreements exist. Indeed, for all you know, Hillary could be far worse than Bill in the “cheating” dept — she’s just better at being discreet about it. I’m sure we’ll know more bloody details as we approach November.

At any rate, I’m just saying that the world could use a lot less judgement of people about whom we know very little. Indeed, I think it’s sad that one reason you support Obama is because he presents himself well and he was raised by a single mom. Ummm…ok….that’s not how I pick my candidates for Election Day, but I’m not you and you have your reasons for picking who you pick. Fine. But I don’t then call you out for being a “fake” American who should be exiled to France because you’re not “in love” with capitalism and all its obvious (to me) benefits. I just accept we have different ideas about our country and move on.

Clearly, marriage means something different to the Clintons than it does to you. And whatever it means to the Clintons, it means enough for both to want to keep it going instead of just playing the divorce card. Why that is, really isn’t your business and not your call to judge. Whatever her other faults, I don’t think Hillary deserves such lambasting from someone who isn’t living her life. Indeed, none of us do regardless of who we are or our marital status.

(And no, I’m not voting for her or supporting her campaign.)

mssinglemama February 21, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Jenny – so who is judging? I think you just passed judgment on me:

“I think it’s sad that one reason you support Obama is because he presents himself well and he was raised by a single mom. Ummm…ok….that’s not how I pick my candidates for Election Day”

It’s not how I pick them either. I highlight the fact that he was raised by a single mom on this blog – b/c you know what – that’s pretty impressive and oh yeah – we’re all single moms. I only just learned this bit of his personal history recently and was a supporter of his long before that.

And I don’t know what makes you think Obama doesn’t support capitalism. You really need to catch up on your reading.

And on this comment…

“And whatever marriage means to the Clintons, it means enough for both to want to keep it going instead of just playing the divorce card.”

They CAN’T play the divorce card. That’s what I’m saying. That’s why it’s all so ridiculous and why it does affect us. Because she’s riding her husband’s coattails to get into the oval office.

Lani February 21, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Well done MSM…tell her how it is!

As for Bill and Hillary, the only person Bill needed to be afraid of was Hillary when he cheated. Obviously, he wasn’t that worried about it and it wasn’t the first nor the last. Anyone who thinks that was an isolated incident is simply living in a fantasy. Just the first time it went public. Way to go Bill!

The only person I feel sorry for is their daughter. However, I do believe that Chelsea is the only thing they are together on and for that I will commend them.

Everyone has opinions and people like the President of the United States and the first lady choose to put themselves out there for public scrutiny and asked to be judged. They campagne for THE public office and promote themselves as the best people in the whole COUNTRY for the job. How do you trust someone that takes an oath of office to this country when he does not even honor his own marriage vows?

As for McClain, unless there is another blue dress with his DNA on it, its just a rumor.

Jenny March 6, 2008 at 4:10 am

Sorry again, but yes they can always play the divorce card. They just don’t want to, whether for personal reasons or political ones. And who cares, anyway? Hillary and Bill’s personal arrangements don’t have any impact on how I live my life and raise my child. And frankly, saying they do is granting them far more importance than they merit. You might as well say that Britney’s panty-less escapades are having an impact on global warming, it’s that preposterous.

As for me judging you, perhaps you should do more reading of your own, particularly in the realm of rhetoric (as well as the whole of my comments rather than just the parts you feel like paying attention to). I called you on your flawed reasoning; I did not condemn you for not living my value system (unlike you, in this post). Disagreeing with you doesn’t mean I’m judging you — it means I think you’re incorrect. I don’t blame you for supporting whoever you choose to support. However, I do blame you for making overly harsh assumptions about things you know absolutely NOTHING about. As single moms, we’re judged every day by all sorts of people, none of whom live our lives or deal with the crap we do. But that doesn’t give any of us license to do the same to others, public figure or not. And when I see someone take that license, I call them on it, loudly. Sorry, MSM, but frankly, you should strive for better than that.

As for it being impressive when a presidential candidate is raised by a single mom (and oooh, willing to admit it in public, even — how courageous!), I (once again) disagree. That fact may be a nice-to-know trivial tidbit, but guess what — being a child of a single parent isn’t that impressive. My mother was a single parent as was my partner’s mom. One of my girlfriends is a single mom, and several of my daughter’s classmates are in single parent households. So what…every year the percentage of American single parent households (compared to those of married parents) grows. I daresay, it’s getting to be far easier to be a single parent than it is to be a married one. Soon enough we’ll outnumber marrieds and watch the religious right choke their death on something real, for once. Now, if a presidential candidate talks about their experience BEING a single parent, well that might be something worth listening to. As it is…