BabyPlays.com – Toy Rentals? Would you do it?

by mssinglemama on February 19, 2008

elmo2.jpgJust stumbled across the hottest thing since Netflix …. BabyPlays.com. For $36.99 (with a three month commitment) you can rent up to four toys a month. Rent toys? Wow. Not sure what to think of this. Sounds like a great idea and they have toys that suit children from birth to five.

Here’s how it works:

• Add your favorites to a wish list (like Netflix’s Que).
  • A few days later your sterilized toys arrive.
  • Once baby’s all done – pack them back up in a pre-paid UPS box and send them off.

Some pluses – it would be a great way to see if my son even likes the toys before buying them…and opening the package every month would be major fun for him. The negatives – the price! Too high for me at this moment and I would guess most single moms.

I rarely buy Benjamin toys but he’s only two. I could see how a 3-5 year old would love picking out his toys online – then sending them back – could help fight material obsessions or attachments.

What do you think? Would you use BabyPlays.com?

mommypie February 19, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I saw this the other day too – I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea … until I looked at the prices. The way I read it was $36.99 per month, for 4 toys per month. Yikes – I don’t spend that much as it is per month on toys as it is! Workbooks, pens, crayons, art supplies, yes, maybe … Plus, I have to admit I’m a germaphobe (I know they say they clean the toys) and the idea does skeez me out a little …

RC February 19, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I would rather continue as we have – rummage sales, resale shops, craigslist, etc…

We totally haven’t spent that much, and our Little Dude is not lacking.

Neat idea, though.

mssinglemama February 20, 2008 at 2:16 am

MommyPie – totally – I just buy crayons (b/c he destroys or loses them) and lots and lots of books. And yes, RC – I find most of them at used toy stores of Half Price Books. And Craigslist is a godsend.

Lauren February 20, 2008 at 4:07 am

Ugh, too much money! Other than that, it does sound like a good idea.

mssinglemama February 20, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I know – too expensive. I do like the idea of sharing…maybe it would be cool to set up a toy sharing group with my friends. Could teach the kids to share and get them over wanting brand new toys at an early age. Wishful thinking on that one I suppose.

John February 20, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Nice idea but way too expensive 🙁

mssinglemama February 26, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Okay, our conclusion = BabyPlays.com is too expensive.