Perfume or magic love potion? You decide.

by mssinglemama on February 15, 2008

perfume_16.jpgYesterday on my lunch break I escaped the office to pick up some Valentine’s treats for my friends, my mom and Kris. I wandered into Crabtree and Evelyn (way too expensive ) but worth it. I found some after shave for Kris (yummy, the Nomad scent), some chocolates for everyone else (all ½ off). And then I decided to do something I rarely do – treat myself…or in honor of Valentine’s Day – romance myself. I bought Lily of the Valley perfume at the full price – $45.00!!! For me!!! A beautiful gift from me to me.

It was the same scent I wore as a little girl and just spraying a touch on my wrists awakened my spirit. Sounds silly but for the rest of the day I was incredibly refreshed, happy, invigorated and relaxed. Thank you me, I thought. That sure was sweet of you.

Later that night, the perfume was still going strong, Benjamin refused to go to bed – which he rarely does. The clock was ticking. I had 15 minutes before my sitter and Kris would show up. Did I panic? Normally I would. But I had the perfume. I took a sniff of my wrist, a deep breath and happily settled in to read Benjamin his seventh book.

He finally went down at 8:00. I now had exactly 0 minutes to get ready. Fortunately Kris and the sitter were both running a tad late so I made it. My outfit actually turned out beautifully and I had a moment to freshen up my perfume.

As soon as Kris walked in the door I had him open his gift – the after shave. We put a few dabs under his ears and on his neck. I breath him in – unbelievable. “We both smell like rich people,” he says. I crack up. We’re laughing our asses off and smelling each other like puppies. What is this stuff? Magic love potion?

It didn’t wear off. We were both high on these glorious smells all night and therefore high on each other. And it was amazing!

This morning I was running out of the house for work. Benjamin was already in his car seat and then I realized – I’d forgotten to put on my perfume. Shoot! I ran back into the house just to spray some more on…and now, even in my office cubie I’m still calm, relaxed and feeling lovely inside and out.

Tip of the day – even if you can’t do it today – buy yourself some fantastic perfume, ideally the scent you wore as a young girl! Romance yourself…and don’t feel guilty about it!

Photo credit: [http://www.perfumespace.com.au/]

mommypie February 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm

What a great idea! I wore Love’s Baby Soft – I don’t think I’ve smelled it in 30 years – wearing it again would sure bring back sweet memories … I don’t know if they even make it anymore! (Jean Nate would have to come in second…)

singlemomseeking February 16, 2008 at 12:13 am

Wait, so are you and Kris back together?… Sounds like it!

I have such sensitive skin that most kinds of perfume make me all itchy… I need to find a natural one that works. You make me want to go searching.

Good for you for treating yourself. You deserve it.

Forever December 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm

The voice of ratoinltaiy! Good to hear from you.

dfhovvlza December 17, 2011 at 5:41 am
dgjqlcjowq December 19, 2011 at 4:42 am
mssinglemama February 16, 2008 at 12:32 am

Mommy Pie – here’s a link to buy Love’s Baby soft!!

And Single Mom Seeking (Rachel) – Yep – we’re back together, but took a step back as far as the pressure in the relationship…read about it here:

And here’s some all-natural perfume:

I LOVE the internet!!!

mommypie February 16, 2008 at 7:28 am

You’re the best! Thank you so much for the link – I just bought my Love’s and can’t wait to smell it again!

mosse zaidane February 17, 2008 at 6:58 am

Love your articles especially this one. My Gucci ENVY really works wonder too. Will look for that Lily of the Valley.Cheers.

Carpinteria February 4, 2015 at 5:54 am

Some thoughts ctcnenoed to this subject: Many poems talk of women’s beauty; why, even many shlokas in praise of Gods talk of the beauty of the Goddess, describing the parts very elaborately. Adi Shankara to Kumara Gurupara write about the breasts! Are there such literary works on men? If not, is it because the authors were always men and hardly any woman? Even those few women, never bothered to describe how handsome the hero is – except to talk about the general good look, muscle power etc.? In case of women, I think there is some literary work or other which elaborates every part of a female body!! Why is that??

ismael January 30, 2010 at 12:37 am

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Lindsay February 4, 2015 at 3:26 am

Finding this post has aneserwd my prayers