Thomas would kick Mickey Mouse’s ass. Elmo would watch.

by mssinglemama on February 7, 2008

ToysCamp.com

In hopes of preventing my son from unnecessary and costly material obsessions – I have limited his exposure to all typical child fascinations. But all of the following have somehow slipped in. Benjamin, just shy of two, has now developed fascinations with Thomas, Mickey and Elmo. And I’m afraid, there’s no going back. Thought I would vent on our new roommates…and distraction is good when you have relationship issues.

Thomas “the freaky” Tank Engine.

how-thomas-the-tank-engine-works-1.jpg He discovered Thomas at the used toy store when a kind old lady (who I wanted to hug and kick at the same time) handed him a Thomas toy after he yelped for it. He wouldn’t let the thing out of his sight for two weeks. Then Benjamin was on a mission. He remembered this blue, smiling face from somewhere. His book stack! Yes, buried in the book stack was a Thomas story book I had bought for my nephew years ago. Then, a few days later, he emerged from his basement playroom with a Thomas DVD, also my nephew’s. “Train! Train!” He cried. Okay. I give in. Now we watch Thomas episodes, read the book and of course, play with that freaky Thomas toy.

Mickey “Prozac” Mouse

mickey.jpgMy best friend dropped her daughter off for an impromptu play date. She left a Mickey Mouse Club House DVD behind. A few weeks later Benjamin and I both caught a nasty sickness. Unable to move much, we had a movie watching marathon. Baby Einstein was driving me nuts. So I popped in Mickey Mouse. That was it. Mickey or “Ickey” was here to stay. Faced with any challenge – Mickey always rises to the occasion. Even when Pete, the nasty big cat, shouts in his face – he’s still smiling and always forgiving. Sometimes I want to punch Mickey in the face but I’m glad he’s teaching my kid how to be nice. And he has a really, really cool Club House.

Elmo – the pacifist monster

elmo.jpgAhhh…little Elmo. He’s so damn cute. I was a huge fan of Sesame Street when I was a kid. I remember when they introduced Elmo. I hated him. He just didn’t make sense and didn’t have anything on Cookie Monster – but now, as a mom, his appeal is clear as day. He’s Sesame Street’s answer to whiny, little toddlers. But he’s smart and that kid’s got character. I like him. If you haven’t seen Elmo in Grouchland check it out. Elmo loses his blankie – quite dramatic.

Hopefully all three will die a slow death and my son will play with inventive toys that inspire creativity. But I have a feeling that Thomas, Mickey and Elmo might win this fight.

[Photo credit: ThomasTankDepot.com, SesameStreet.org and Disney.com]

Gayle February 7, 2008 at 5:32 pm

LOL! My 2-yr old has gone to the dark side as well. They all do it at some point. Caillou (on PBS) is my DD’s drug of choice. My advice…it’s perfectly okay. I even think it’s okay to get a DVD or 2. However, don’t get more than 2 DVD’s of a single character. Mix it up. Keep it fresh. Tape or DVR instead of buying. I think in my DD’s case, going back to her characters is not a sign of being exposed or addicted to TV, it’s just 1 more familiar thing that comforts her when she wants it.

Gorgeous Black Women February 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

You can’t really choose what your kid is going to like. Try as she might, my aunt couldn’t stop her 6 year old daughter from being extra-girly, impeccably manicured (she does her own nails!), High School Musical loving, (black) Barbie carrying ballerina and gymnast. Where did she learn about these things? Her Christian school and from a very young age. They said she’d never have a Barbie. She has several. They refused gymnastics and ballet. She takes lessons at least once a week, partially because she got every adult in the family to do her bidding. You better get used to it or you’ll be picking battles that you won’t eventually win.

mssinglemama February 7, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Gayle .. I figured. I know it’s okay because if I didn’t have these quick movies we would both go insane. I pop him in front of a movie when I’m cooking and cleaning up, or when I need to take a shower. But his TV time is limited – less than one hour a day. And I don’t even have a TV!!! So that makes it easier to resist. We watch DVDs on my nice 20″ iMAC. Oh – FYI – you can download Sesame Street special episodes for FREE on iTunes.

Gorgeous – I know – children are people too and they will be who they will be – no matter what. Thanks for your story!

mommypie February 7, 2008 at 7:29 pm

This is hi-larious! I tried so hard for the first few years to keep my daughter (now almost four) away from all the commercial cartoony crap. I soon learned it was a losing battle, however – with preschool, you might as well just give up that notion. We went through Thomas (who she LOVED), Mickey and Elmo, and now have graduated to Scooby Doo. And, like Gorgeous Black Women, I swore she wouldn’t be playing with Barbies. Hmmm – guess what she got for Christmas from Grammy?

Andrea February 8, 2008 at 4:05 am

Thomas is like crack for little boys. I can’t explain it – I was never a little boy. The upside is, the wooden train tracks and engines do not play obnoxiously loud and annoying songs, or talk. So I’m happy.

My favorite part of Elmo In Grouchland is when he’s falling into Grouchland amidst all the colors. Trippy.

mssinglemama February 8, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Tks Andrea! Yes – definitely if there was a crack for kids – these movies would be it. That is a cool little scene. Poor blankie. Poor Elmo. Ha!

sara February 10, 2008 at 12:01 am

This post is too funny. I have to see that Elmo episode. I think two is the age when they begin to pay attention. My EZ did not like tv much he would only sometimes be entertained with Baby Einstein then I thought it was wrong to keep repeating it since he would be in a trance….hec I would fall asleep too. Then relatives would put on movies for him like Back to the Future ummm hello! Now he tells me which video he wants to watch, he finally got tired of Toy Story after 3 months lol…. and he turns on the tv by himself even if his not watching. I do distract him so he could go play with his toys.

jon b March 6, 2008 at 9:33 pm

I don’t know what it is but my girlfriend’s two year old is hooked on Thomas and Elmo. Mickey is in a close third. She is very good about working with him and focusing on numbers, discipline, and dexterity. I count with him by doing pushups over him or throwing him up and down, but at times all that will garner his attention is Elmo or Thomas. Perhaps the cutest and most obnoxious sound in the world is him screaming “MY CHOOCHOO THOMAS!” in the middle of a store when spotting the blue devil. And tickle me elmo has to die. I tried once, and would have pulled it off had my girl not wanted to console her son, lol. The dvd was so scratched up that it was skipping and stopped working. He said “What happened Elmo?” to which i replied “You watched him to much, you killed him and he went bye bye forever.” Of course horrified he cries and goes to mommy screaming “I killed Elmo, Elmo bye bye” (not knowing what killed means of course)to which she immediately gave me the death glare(I know now why I was wrong ok?). She consoled him and said Elmo would be back very soon and to stop crying because I was going to go find him( i.e. get your ass in the car and go to Walmart now if you don’t want your things burned). I know a child crying because he killed Elmo is wrong….but part of me wonders if it would have worked….

mssinglemama March 7, 2008 at 3:38 am

I LOVE this story! Thanks Jon! You sound like such a sweet, sweet boyfriend. Aren’t single moms the best? Thanks for commenting.

randi June 3, 2008 at 9:08 am

i love elmo

martha martinez June 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

es super lindo y algun dia quisiera conocerlo

Hugh Phardid July 24, 2008 at 12:24 pm

You’re a retard. That explains your single. Who’s gonna put up with that.
It’s great your kid has all these characters to look up to. It’s either that or you!