Do day care bugs ever end?

by mssinglemama on January 27, 2008

Both of us are sick…again. Since Benjamin started day care last September he’s been sick on and off ever since. This time it’s some nasty, rotten head and stomach cold thing that’s had us miserable for four days now. Each one of these day care bugs is unique. I’ll spare you the details but it’s a little bit freaky. Never, ever in my life have I ever been so sick, so often. It has me considering trading day care for in-home care. But, he’ll be starting montessori this fall so I want him to stay in a school-like environment.

We take vitamins every day. We both drink tons and tons of water. Is there anything else I can do to boost our immunity?  Okay – my head is pounding right now and I have to go to sleep at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. And you know what I’m thinking? Not “oh damn, it’s a Saturday night and I can’t go out.” I’m thinking, “thank god I’m sick on the weekend so I don’t have to call off work.”

1. Do men really care if you’re a single mom?
  2. What’s a single working mama to do?
  3. Oh…the pressure.
  4. Cigarrettes, men and some major trust issues.
  5. Single motherhood – turns out, not so easy, but not so tough either.

lisamm January 27, 2008 at 1:14 am

Is your little guy old enough to learn about washing hands or using hand sanitizer? It really is the single most important thing you can do to stay healthy. Get those Clorox wipe thingys and go around frequently wiping all your door knobs, flush handle on the toilet, stair rails, telephone, and anything else lots of hands touch. Hope you both feel better soon.

Crazy Computer Dad January 27, 2008 at 1:34 am

It gets better over the years…both of your immune systems will build up over time. I get more colds through my office now than I do through day care. One time my son and I both had strep pretty bad. I just pulled a mattress off of his bunk bed, set it in front of the fire, and we curled up under the blankets and watched cartoons for two days. I’m trying to think of what kind of sickness is the worst, but they are all bad in their own sickening way. Hope you both feel better soon!

Crazy Computer Dad January 27, 2008 at 1:35 am

Of course people always tell me what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…Sometimes I think it is just weakening you to make it easier for the next thing.

randomesq January 27, 2008 at 3:07 am

My ex is a Kindergarten teacher and so she’s sick about 9 months out of the year.

single mom ~ left of the middle January 27, 2008 at 4:50 am

Oh my goodness! I went through the same thing with my daughter! Hugs! :)

mssinglemama January 27, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. Still feeling horrible. Don’t know what this is – maybe strep. We don’t seem to be getting any better. Wish us luck – going to try to talk Benjamin’s father into watching him at my place this week so he doesn’t have to travel.

Healing Mom January 27, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Computer Dad – I have my own theory on the “That which does not kill you” addage. http://aftermathofahealingmom.typepad.com/hope/2008/01/that-which-does.html
Warning: I’ve been trying in vain to cut back on the cursing. If you don’t want to see the f word, you may not want to click on that link, but I dare ya! : )

Ms. Single Mama – 2 words – Hand Santizer. Use it like it’s going out of style. Of course, we can’t avoid all the bugs, but keeping your and your childs hands clean helps immensely! I also use those Clorox wipes (or generic…whatever is on sale at the Family Dollar) and regularly clean doorknobs, remote controls, the fridge door handle, the phone, etc…anything that your and little hands touch frequently, to keep germs at a miminum. I keep it in the car too, in case we do a drive-thru on the way to/from soccer. In our car, you don’t get your Happy Meal until your hands are clean!

Jenny January 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well.

Treatments: Whenever I get sick one of the first things I reach for is zinc lozenges. Zinc helps fortify the immune system and it’s been a lifesaver for me when I get my annual sinus ick (which will blow up into pneumonia if I don’t nip it quick). They also make zinc lollipops for kids. Just make sure you eat something beforehand or else your stomach will feel a bit queasy.

And keep eating. Illness needs to be fed, even if it’s chicken broth and toast.

I’d also agree with the hand sanitizer everyone is recommending, but only if 1) you can’t wash your hands (e.g., you’re in the car, etc.) and 2) you can make sure the alcohol concentration is 65% or higher. A lot of inexpensive hand sanitizers contain as little as 40% alcohol which doesn’t kill squat.

Just be aware that hand sanitizer is a (very aggressive) fail-safe; not a replacement for soap and water. The FDA doesn’t recommend exclusive use of hand sanitizer over regular hand washing and for good reason. Because effective hand sanitizers contains high amounts of alcohol, it’s combustible and toxic to children. Keep that in mind when you’re handling food.

If you’re looking to get antibacterial in the home, use natural disinfectants like a solution of vinegar with antiseptic herbs like eucalyptus, lavender, or rosemary for scent. For handwashing, I use a coconut oil-based kitchen soap with cinnamon and clove, both of which have antiseptic properties.

Take it easy on yourself and your home, and feel better soon!

mssinglemama January 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Everyone – thank you, thank you for the tips. We are still bed-riden. Well, I am. Benjamin spent the morning running around unattended while I lay in bed – all feverish and unable to move. His dad showed up this morning (his day) so … I am going to pass out. As soon as I come out of this I’ll be heading to the store for some zinc and some anti-bacterial hand stuff. Tks for the tips.

lisamm January 28, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Sorry you’re still sick..

I just wanted to comment on the antibacterial hand soap. I used it all the time when my kids were babies, so much so that I dried my hands out and they were cracked, sore and flaky and it was awful. The doctor said it’s unnecessary to use antibacterial soap.. regular soap and warm water is better for you and kills germs. You need to have some bacteria to build your immune system. The hand sanitizer is only a substitute when you can’t get to soap and warm water.. not as good but better than nothing.