Single Mom Recipes

by mssinglemama on January 5, 2008

orzo-broccoli-pilaf.jpgWhat do you cook up when you’re rushed in the morning? Or in the evening when you get home from work and don’t feel like making an elaborate meal? I thought I would share my favorite recipes in hopes that you share yours.

These are all super quick, super easy and super healthy recipes that are some of Benjamin’s favorites. And I love them too.

Egg in Toast for breakfast or lunch

Not sure what this is technically called, so made up that name.

Cut a circle in the middle of a piece of whole wheat bread.

Throw some butter in a skillet. Drop the bread in.

Then crack in egg in the center of the hole, cook for a minute or two then flip, again for a minute or two – then you’re done!

Total cook time – 3-4 minutes. Delicious!!!!

Instant Oatmeal with Cottage Cheesefor breakfast

This is a bit crazy but one day a mixed cottage cheese in with Benjamin’s instant oatmeal and he ate the entire bowl. I wanted to cool the oatmeal down faster and also beef up his protein consumption every day. Cottage cheese is packed with protein and calcium.

Perogies – for dinner or lunch

Find perogies in the frozen food section – they’re cheap and really low in fat so you can love them too.

Using a saucepan throw in some oil, put the heat on high and fry the perogies. Throw in a few onions for taste. You can also boil them and use spagetti sauce.

Total cook time: 7 minutes

Orzo Pilaf – for dinner or lunch (especially great for the babies)

Boil the orzo (just like rice, but instead it’s a yummy pasta)

After about 4 minutes throw in diced carrots, broccoli or any other veggies (I shave my head of broccoli so he doesn’t know the difference)

Strain it all

Throw in about half a stick of butter and some shredded cheese.

Total cook time: 10 minutes

These are my super quick recipes. On the weekends and most nights for dinner I make bigger, “fancier” meals because I actually enjoy cooking now. Please, please share your recipes if you have any others.

Shannon Parrett July 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

The toast with the egg cracked in it is called a Tote Hole! I learned how to make these when I was in 5th grade!! They are awesome and very quick!

anne rogers March 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm

wrong! It’s called Toad in the hole!

anne rogers March 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm

it’s actually called “Toad in the hole” Kids will eat it because of the name

the tao of badass free ebook February 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Most dating advice for men books and tutorials don’t honestly say that
there are times that it’s not always applicable for all men and instead
offers how useful the guide is to each and every man kind.
It completely forgets to acquire deeper with increased important
issues like personality variations and problems on self- confidence which can be
both important.

Iverson February 3, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hello! thanks for this huepfll video. By the way, I hear many people keep on talking about dating course known as Sozofintao Dating Manual (do a google search), but I’m not sure if it is really good. Have you tried Sozofintao Dating Manual? I have heard several extraordinary things about it and my buddy finally become badass with women using it, but he refuses to tell me: (

auto insurance quotes Wichita April 1, 2015 at 11:16 am

Bonjour Marion ! J’ai découvert vos produits sur le blog de Mathilde et j’avoue que ça me tente beaucoup. J’ai depuis quelques mois la peau mixte à grasse dû à mon changement de pilule, avec quand même pas mal d’acné. J’ai arrêté cette pilule, et je suis depuis quelques jours un traitement anti-acnéique. Par ailleurs, j’ai la peau déshydratée. Quels produits chez Dermalogica me conseilleriez-vous ?Par ailleurs, y-a’il un institut dans lequel on peut aller montrer sa peau avant d’acheter quoi que ce soit pour être conseillée le mieux possible ? (J’habite Nancy mais me rends régulièrement à Paris).Un grand merci et très bonne fin de journée !!!!